Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gross and odd...  (Read 4386 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Gross and odd...
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:57:58 pm »
Evening,

I reckon this is the oddest thing I've ever posted on here BUT...out this evening seeing to the sheep and took DD on a wildflower spotting walk armed with her new book. Anyway, stumbled across 2 'kidneys' - large, around2-3 inches long. One of the bloody dogs polished one of them off (now in boot room in case of 'tummy ache') But I've not seen anything like it at all. Nothing is grazing on this field, no bones/feathers, blood around. Looks like a fox has tred a path a few times through the hedge and they were found about 2 metres away from the hedge.

I just can't work out what animal is big enough for kidneys that big and why and what leaves just them...?

There is a country road down the side of the field and it did cross my mind perhaps somebody's lashed them over from the car...but that didn't make sense either!!!!!

Any clues??

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Gross and odd...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:38:35 pm »
Any other blood around?

Could have been a deer, killed and gutted, and the kidneys kept, then discarded on route with the carcass somewhere.

Bit far fetched though. 

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:42:08 am »
No blood other than around the kidneys. However, this morning there's half a hen/cockerel in middle of field - fresh so I'm thinking whatever 'it' was it's likely to have been eaten by the fox. Only this fox doesn't like kidney?!!

All very odd!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 03:10:53 pm »
Some random thoughts...

How's the dog that ate one of the kidneys?

Just wondering if the kidneys could be poisoned, put out by someone for the fox.

The size you describe, they'll be lamb's kidneys, I'd think.

I guess if someone was sheep-rustling and butchering, they maybe would discard the kidneys and liver - parts where any meds would be concentrated.  (Because when you rustle sheep you don't know what meds they've had and whether they are still within any meat withdrawal period.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:04:52 am »
Definitely not somebody making bullocks nearby?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:41:08 pm »
Well I'd have guessed lambs kidneys too judging by size etc. The dog is absolutely fine (lab so cast iron stomach anyway!) I was worried about possible poisoning. I'd have been bloomin' furious though as there's no right of way or anything like that on our land.

I've since found some rib bones around so can only presume fox but those kidneys and there was absolutely no doubt they were kidneys, will puzzle me forever I think!
twitter - @southscouse

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »
my dog found a lambs hind foot in my hedge a few days ago - seemed a bit decomposed but that wouldn't stop her. I concluded that one of my neighbours is probably disposing of his dead in the nearby woods and bits are being scattered by the wildlife - I suspect this neighbour of being the one who dumped dead ewes in the stream that borders my land in winter 12-13.

your kidneys could be something similar?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:47 pm »
my dog found a lambs hind foot in my hedge a few days ago - seemed a bit decomposed but that wouldn't stop her. I concluded that one of my neighbours is probably disposing of his dead in the nearby woods and bits are being scattered by the wildlife -

Your assumption is offensive to farmers - and this farmer  :farmer: is offended.

I find parts of my own lambs when I do my rounds.  Sometimes I do not find all the parts.  It does not mean I am dumping my dead, it means things are dying - not always of medical reasons - and wildlife or local or tourists' dogs are making off with parts of them before I get to them.

It's bad enough dealing with the detritus of such, without finding that the general opinion of the non-farming public is that I must be dumping my dead lambs.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:04:26 pm »
my dog found a lambs hind foot in my hedge a few days ago - seemed a bit decomposed but that wouldn't stop her. I concluded that one of my neighbours is probably disposing of his dead in the nearby woods and bits are being scattered by the wildlife -

Your assumption is offensive to farmers - and this farmer  :farmer: is offended.

I find parts of my own lambs when I do my rounds.  Sometimes I do not find all the parts.  It does not mean I am dumping my dead, it means things are dying - not always of medical reasons - and wildlife or local or tourists' dogs are making off with parts of them before I get to them.

It's bad enough dealing with the detritus of such, without finding that the general opinion of the non-farming public is that I must be dumping my dead lambs.

Well the five entire dead sheep with their ear tags cut off weren't carried down the road to the bridge and dumped in my stream by dogs or wildlife - so it's a reasonable assumption in my case.

I note that in your quote you edited out my sentence that indicated the reason for my assumption - so you must have read it - but feel free to be offended if it makes you happy.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:08:45 pm by mab »

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:06:37 pm »
Our farmer boots his lambs across the field  :( ((while my mum was over))  :-\ she's still going on about it!

Edited - 'our farmer' meaning the guy who tends to the sheep around the fields of our house, kitchen window over looks a large chunk.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:08:54 pm by NicandChic »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:57 am »
I once phoned a neighbouring farmer to tell him there was a dead sheep in his field, next day it was just over the fence in another neighbours field.

Sadly not all farmers are as responsible as you Sally.

(please don't read anything else into this reply, no sarcasm or otherwise is intended)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:19:55 am »
I've had much the same experience with our farmer neighbour next door. He has his "dead hole" in a small sunken copse in the field up from us. As perviously described - ears it off and left for the crows. Our local fallen stock man commented that "every farmer's got one" when we told him about it a couple of years ago.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 07:41:51 am »
I remember living near a dairy farmer. One day the smell of barbeque was overwhelming. i didn't twig until someone told me he was burning deadstock - this was about 3 years after the F&M outbreak  :o
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 11:02:34 pm »
unfortunately we have one the same next to us, rarely checks his sheep (its usually me that lets him know if he has a ewe in trouble etc) and if there's any fallen stock either my dog finds it first and stinks the house out for days...or the guy shoves into the little river that runs between the 2 lochs which then flows down into the big loch where people fish etc. Worst of it being that we have an exemption because if our location so we can dispose of fallen stock ourselves rather than the knacker etc so no excuse for it.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS