Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to contain pigs for 'treatment'  (Read 2600 times)

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
How to contain pigs for 'treatment'
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:25:37 am »
Hi all,
Our pigs are all born and raised outdoors in paddocks, contained with a mix of stock fencing and electric fencing. This gives us a problem which I hope some of you have solved.
There are occasions when we need to examine the adult pigs properly. e.g. One of the girls is limping and we need to check her leg properly. Also one girl will not stand properly for AI and it would help if we could carry out the operation with her safely contained. We don't own a crate or scales which could be used. I wondered if anyone with more imagination than I has thought of a self build solution to safely restraining adult pigs?

Many Thanks

Clive

HappyHippy

Re: How to contain pigs for 'treatment'
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:50:04 pm »
Firstly, if she won't stand for AI - she's not properly in heat or you might need a bit of boar spray to get her in the mood  ;) Sows that are properly in season seldom move, unless she's taking you somewhere she feels more comfortable - one of our Berkshires liked to be in the privacy of her arc when being AI'd  ::)
Normally with sows we would just administer a belly rub to get them to lie down while we check them over (not that they're spoilt you understand  :innocent:)
You could fix a gate (with one hinge reversed) against a wall (it would really need to be a wall - they could go straight through a fence if they really felt like it) and use it as a crush same as you would for cows :thumbsup: Or if you're really struggling a couple of cans of beer will get them to lie down and be a bit easier/slower to check (Stresnil from the vet does the same job too)
HTH

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:25:08 pm »
the only problem with any containment for pigs is that each pig will only ever use it once, after that no chance they'll go near it again !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:27:14 pm »
Or if you're really struggling a couple of cans of beer will get them to lie down and be a bit easier/slower to check

Yep, I normally have a couple of cans myself as well, that way we're both chilled !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:54:45 am »
Thanks HH. The beer idea is great. I'll try Guinness, cos apparently it's good for you! Shame it comes in four packs, I will have to help her drink them!

As for the AI, we will just hafe to persist and get it right. Our Berkshire sow is the polar opposite she istands there with a smile on her face!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:34 am »
we got a calf crate for free and its the perfect size for an adult pig. we used the gate method with a sow who really protested about injections and it wasnt fun as she was very strong and active. when we got the vet to help - he noosed her nose but  i warn you, it was very noisy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS