Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice? Mites?  (Read 1498 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Lice? Mites?
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:01:35 pm »
Been in the chicken hut and come out covered in lice/mites! Any ideas what they are? The are tiny and really pale/straw coloured and were all clustered around the main door of the coop (not the bob hole). I have deep cleaned the hut, doused it in DE and louse powdered the hens. I had a good rummage through all the hens feathers, under their wings, around their bottoms and cound not see anything at all. Living in the hut i would assume that these are red mite, but aren't they red/dark coloured? I'm covered in them- straight in the shower!!! ???
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Lice? Mites?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:18:52 pm »
Yep. Me too!  Mine are definitely not red mite - white and a bit bigger.  Doused everything last week, and it seems better but not perfect.  Will be jet washing this weekend (me and the hens!)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »
How odd. If you find out what yours are- let me know!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:14:51 pm »
Remember red mite are only red after they've eaten so don't discount them on the basis of colour.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:28:41 am »
Ah ha! that could explain it! It was late afternoon so they won't have been feasting on my beautiful girls for hours!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS