Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: postage cost of fleece  (Read 7743 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: postage cost of fleece
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 07:08:09 am »
I never had a problem with moths in un-washed fleeces... after all they don't go onto the sheep and the fleece still smells the same. Washed fleece is different.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:25:06 am »

Open topped bags or boxes are a definite no-no.  Clothes moths don't only eat wool; we found a whole lot of hatching wool moths in a feed bin once, and they live happily in out-buildings. 

I can vouch for this. I was investigating an old bag of barley yesterday that was in the stable and it was full of hatching moths. OH is going to burn it all. My fleece are also stored in the same stable  :(  but are in tightly tied polypropelene bags so I think they are ok.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 09:41:08 am »
So where is everyone getting their polypropelene bags from?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 10:01:06 am »
I bought mine on ebay.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 11:36:23 am »
I never had a problem with moths in un-washed fleeces... after all they don't go onto the sheep and the fleece still smells the same. Washed fleece is different.

Anke, you have been lucky so far.  I have a Jacob's fleece that was left in an open shed for me, I didn't get around to dealing with it, it is full of moths now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 11:36:55 am »
If you are selling fleeces, make sure you have stored them properly before they leave you, as no-one will thank you if moths or mice emerge when they open the parcel.

In spades!!!!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:41 am »
So where is everyone getting their polypropelene bags from?

Actually I use feed sacks that have only been used once.  I always check for mouse holes first!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 12:11:16 pm »
For suppliers, I use one in Glasgow, mail order only.  Minimum order is 100 bags though, and delivery is the same for all amounts up to a pallet load I think, so a good idea to order a few year's supply in one go.  I also buy the big ones that companies such as The Natural Fibre Co send you to return full of your fleece.  I use these to store non spinnable fleece, or to tidy up several smaller sacks of spinning fleece.

I'll see if I can find their url  (after I've watered the polytunnel   :garden:  )

http://www.sackmaker.com/woven-pp-sacks.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:18:34 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:36 am »
I never had a problem with moths in un-washed fleeces... after all they don't go onto the sheep and the fleece still smells the same.

lol - but moths like quiet, dark, undisturbed places.  And a sheep's back is none of these!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 11:14:39 am »
Unless its one of those sheep thats pointing at the clouds!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS