Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: horny dilemma  (Read 1806 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
horny dilemma
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »
enjoying sitting in a field, on a summer's evening, with our balwen lambs - five boys and a girl - all boys were castrated (with rings) so that they can enjoy a couple of summers with us - but noting that a couple of the lads have some pretty good horns. indeed one lamb has a beautiful set, and he just head butted me.... proper ram fashion.... does this mean that we failed to castrate properly? is there a way of telling the difference between playful butting and 'I'm a ram' butting - short of unexpected births....  They all run in a small flock with their mums and half sisters / cousins.....
also.... one of the boy lambs, with no real horn growth, still has the ring and testacles visibly hanging, though castrated in April - does this also mean things have gone wrong?

all help appreciated hugely, as ever...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: horny dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »
is the bawbag dry and shrivelled? if so theres no need to worry.

ref retained testicles - did you feel both prior to castration? were both inside the banded bawbag? can you feel any balls between his legs?

i was going to say - wethers horns are more female in appearance. a tups horns are much thicker and quite obvious from a distance in a horned breed.

but the 2 balwen ewes i had were polled....

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:34 pm »
My Soay wether has beautiful curved horns, still much smaller compared to my tup but just as curved.
Though I have been wondering about the efficiency of his castration (he came to me as a wether) as he does show some interest in the girls (but gets summarily beaten up and kept at a distance by the tup during the critical time - they are best of chums the rest of the time)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:33:32 am »
I have BWM, so similar to Balwen.
Castrated => no horns, or just little stubs (size depending on the age at castration)
Not castrated => horns.
Half castrated/one testicle => horns.
Short-scrotum castration (ringing the sac but leaving testes in body cavity) => horns.

Hope that helps :).

It would be worth looking at the one that you can see still has the ring and testicles visible, they should have dropped off long ago.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS