Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4x4 advice  (Read 6406 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
4x4 advice
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:12:57 pm »
Hello folks,

We may soon need to buy a 4x4 to tow heavy livestock trailers/horse boxes and general building materials up a hillside track.  We need decent ground clearance as it's only a rough track, and decent traction in the winter as it'll get very snowy I would imagine.

However, price will be the main factor as we can only afford up to £3,000 second hand.  It has to be reliable and cheap-ish (relatively) to run and repair, although I appreciate that 4x4s are expensive by their very nature.

Any advice?
Lynn

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
Re: 4x4 advice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:40:13 pm »
S3 Diesel land rover would be my recommendation - cheap to buy and insure and also easy to fix if anything does goes wrong - although you wont get any creature comforts !!
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:15:41 pm »
That's a tricky one Lynn.

I wouldn't buy a Defender for £3K as it's bound to cost you far more in the long run (please don't ask me how I know this  :innocent: ).

Marka is right that a Series 3 can be bought for that kind of money, but that's a 1970s/80s classic which I think you really have to WANT to own to be able to put up with its idiosyncracies and still have a simile on your face!

Going a bit more modern, a Discovery (300tdi or TD5) would suit you well if you can find a good one. Most at that price will be high mileage, but as long as the rust worms haven't got to the chassis, it could be perfect for you.

Similarly something like a Mitsubishi Pajero might be a good bet, although beware that any Spanish friends are likely to have a wee giggle at your expense  ;) .

HTH!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »
Aye, womble's right - its a fair comment that you do have to WANT to own a landy, to own a landy.

One other suggestion is a diesel vauxhall frontera - ( now, now everyone dont laugh ! ) - they are essentially an Isuzu underneath and are seriously under-rated and are value for money

Regards
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:56:15 am »
For your limited budget Roundlaw Lynn, it might also be worth considering something like a Ford Ranger Pick-Up.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:07:52 am »
Similarly something like a Mitsubishi Pajero might be a good bet, although beware that any Spanish friends are likely to have a wee giggle at your expense  ;) .

HTH!  :thumbsup:

Does Pajero really mean w@nker in Spanish? We were going to buy one, then I read that but later heard that it was just an urban myth  ???

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:17:38 am »
Make sure you get decent tyres.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:42 am »
Well..... Just for you Rosemary, I asked a Spanish colleague. He said "It's not really W@nker, more just 'Tosser'".  So I think that's close enough!!  :roflanim:

There's so little street cred in an old 4x4, what difference does it make if you drive a Mitsubishi W@nker anyway?

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:08:20 am »
just a thought, and may not fulfil all your requirements, but would an old tractor be suitable. A 3k 4*4 would cause you no end of trouble with running costs, maintenance and so on (tyres alone are likely to be £120 each). If it's only for towing up the track, then a tractor may be a better option, though if you also need it for road driving then not.

disclaimer, I like old tractors, so may be a tad biased.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:44 am »
We've got a Defender but there are times when only the tractor can do the job. Don't assume that just because you've got 4wd you can get anywhere, especially with a trailer hooked up.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:48 am »
Hughesy's right (Please don't ask me how I know that either!  :roflanim: )

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 01:14:35 pm »
£3000 landrover= £3000 ornament- you'd have to love it. we opted for "the poor man's landrover" Hyundai Santa Fe" does every thing we need it too, trailers to abbatoir, collecting logs out the field. cant guarantee it would met your needs but we've never had a moments problem and may be worth a look

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 09:00:35 pm »
For your limited budget Roundlaw Lynn, it might also be worth considering something like a Ford Ranger Pick-Up.

I've got a 2005 Mk2 Ford Ranger pickup single cab and its more than capable in all weather. Got a 2600kg towing capacity and will take 100kg in the bed. The most I've loaded mine with and felt comfortable was 155 9inch hollow blocks concrete blocks; well over 1000kg but off road its only a number!
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS