Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cud Spilling Lamb  (Read 7491 times)

Tish tosh

• Joined Apr 2013
Cud Spilling Lamb
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:10:12 am »
We have some four month old Dorset lambs, all of them have grown on very well. They were weaned from their mothers at about 8 weeks old with very little fuss. They were initially fed creep, which we slowly weaned them off. They are grazing well and have had to restrict due to tummies getting a little round!
About three weeks ago one of them started having green saliva round her mouth, I did, some research and gather this is Cud Spilling. I cannot find a lot of helpful information out there. Some say they can grow out of it. She is well in herself, lively and doesn't seem to be bothered about the green saliva at all. She is a bit slighter then the others, I have started to give her a bit of creep to help her.
Can anybody give me any advice, will try anything if it may help.
Just to say the lambs are pets and mowers!  Thoroughly enjoy keeping them as a hobby.
Thank you

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Cud Spilling Lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:02:05 pm »
If you take a careful look at her teeth you may find that her top and bottom jaw are out of alignment - slightly to one side or the teeth meet the top pad slightly forward or back compared to your other lambs. Or it may be that the teeth themselves are slightly to one side - maybe just a milimetre or two.  Any of these will cause her to effectively dribble while she's cudding.  It's unsightly but provided she's eating efficiently enough to keep in condition and you're not intending to breed from her anyway I'd just keep an eye on her and see what happens. 

As an aside, I'd recommend that Down ewes that aren't gong to be bred from are kept on sparse grazing for part of the year, and only fed hay if grazing is very poor and creep shouldn't be necessary at all, unless you want to slip them the odd handful of coarse mix to keep them easy to catch.  They will put on too much condition if on continuously good grazing and have the foot and heart problems that go with it.

Solentfish

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:09:57 pm »
Hi All,
Can cud spilling be down to teething? I bought a ewe last year as a shearling who started cud spilling for about a month (September time), then stopped. She has had a lovely lamb so no major problems with nutrition. I have noticed that in the last couple of weeks she has started cud spilling again. So, wondering if this is related to new teeth coming through?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:58:13 am »
Check teeth definitely, we ve sadly had to say  good bye to beautiful lamb to really really bad dentition, due to malformation of the jaw, she was out on both planes, overshot and not set right through the molars.  Am heartbroken, but must trudge on for the sake of the others.  So yeah have a really good look at lambies mouth  xxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS