Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Questions for pet bunny keepers  (Read 3083 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Questions for pet bunny keepers
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »
Hi there,

Some of you may remember I put a post up last year seeing if I could get my rescued rabbit a friend

Well in the end I bought a little boy Lion-Lop and had him castrated, waited until he was fully recovered and introduced them, they became the best of freinds and loved eachother so so much, very glad I got Darcy a friend, Billy has always been much tamer and rather cuddly, easy to pick up and move and handle
Darcy has always been difficult

Yesterday Darcy looked off colour, she was moving very slowly and she didnt kick bite or scratch me when I picked her up!

This morning she looked the same and I was thinking of taking her to the vet when I go on thursday, this evening I have found her dead :( I am not attached to my rabbits the same way as my dogs but I do enjoy them and I like looking after them and they are lovely little creatures, Darcy must have been 7 or 8 by now but she may have been older

But now I have a very lonely Billy, he looks either sad or worried, not sure which but he is very quiet

So now yet again, I have to look for a rabbit friend, as he is castrated does it matter if the new friend is a boy or girl?

Also I bought Billy from a pet shop, they told me he would be a giant rabbit yet he is still very small, he is a lionhead cross lop

So is it best to get a bun from a breeder or go back to the pet shop? is it best to go for a similar size bunny? also Billy is 1 year old now but what if I can only find a baby bunny, will he mind? he is very chilled

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions

Jess

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Questions for pet bunny keepers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »
Hi, your best to get a female companion, already neutered would be a bonus obviously, I'd go for a bunny that will be around the same size, you could get a younger rabbit but your boy may dominance hump etc so you don't want a smaller younger bunny getting hurt. Id never buy from a pet shop and find a good breeder. Rabbit rescues usually have neutered females and even bonding services - newbies need to be introduced somewhere neutral.
Hope Billy finds love again soon...I breed pet bunnys my websites www.ayrshiredwarflops.com (if you were closer I've got the perfect girl)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:24:47 pm by NicandChic »

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »
I'd be looking for a rescue rabbit personally of approx the same size and age. I think you'd be better looking for a neutered female, but def NOT an entire male.
Pretty sure rescues do meet and greets to make sure everyone gets on, plus you have backup if there was a problem :)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:16:22 am »
Rabbit rescue places will vet you as an owner, suggest suitable companions for your rabbit and then let the two meet before letting you take on another rabbit. My daughter is in the process of adopting a second rescue rabbit and Luna, her current rabbit, is going on a date this weekend to test compatibility!

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:13:52 pm »
Another vote for rabbit rescue
I have a bunny .. a girl .. and I used to take them in
Girls are always harder to handle than boys
They defend their space

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:50:21 am »
Agree with all above advice, when I was in the same position I took my rabbit to a rescue centre and the first rabbit they introduced her to, having been selected as being the best match, did NOT like her, then they tried another they were desperate to rehome, no one would take him as he had something wrong with his tear ducts so they leaked all the time and his face had become very sore in his previous home, he went in with my rabbit and she immediately began licking his face - he came home with us and I never even needed to bathe his eyes, she kept them clean for him, it was lovely.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS