Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SS&G Festival, 27th September, Lanark Agricultural Centre  (Read 38951 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: SS&G Festival, 27th September, Lanark Agricultural Centre
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:15 pm »
Gotcha, Brucklay. We're going to have a board or use the big red light sign above the rings next year.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
That was thing. In Ring 1 at least the tannoy announcement couldn't be heard so there was no notice of what was happening, like you got in the Symington (sp?) suite.

You should also offer a cloning service, so many talks to go to and the showing and only one body, that was the hardest bit!   :innocent:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »
i would personally sign up to be cloned for the day, 1 of me to volunteer and 1 of me to go listen to other stuff...

we really need PA in ring 1 for some of the speakers to be heard better...

ring 2 seemed better as the audience tended to be smaller (checked with mrs b)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:18 pm »
To be honest PA system however loud would not help me, my hearing is so bad in a hall like that with the people and animal sounds I have to be looking at someone to hear them and then there could be announcements trying to be heard over announcements hence the visual board - ok not so good for folks needing glasses but it could have big writing  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »
sorry i meant demonstration ring 1 (the normal sale ring) not the showing rings to clarify my thoughts...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:45 pm »
Here's an idea - could the speakers maybe be asked do two slots each - one in the morning, one in the afternoon - so if they clashed with another speaker then people could still hear both?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 06:16:52 pm »
Thanks to all who helped make it such a brilliant day! Not just the organisers and volunteers but people like the lovely lady who lent her white coat to my friend when it was obvious that my Portlands needed one-to-one handling. I think boards for the show rings showing classes and timings would be a huge help.
The only thing that let it down for me (again) was the catering. There aren't many shows now where you can't get a decent cup of real coffee, or a pint of beer for that matter. I could have done with both, and heard other people saying so, too. Rosemary, I know Lanark have conditions about catering, and it's not your fault, but can you lean on them?
My only other suggestion for next year would be a sheep agility class, cos my ewe lamb would win it feet down - and up, and sideways  ;D
Anyway, we'll be back next year, but with a picnic!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 10:34:38 pm »
I really enjoyed my day, though had hoped for more trade stands.. but then I only ever get to go shopping at shows so that's maybe just me LOL!

I thought the catering was fab, I had a great breakfast and a very big lunch - both in the Cafe, I didn't need dinner when I got home that was for sure!  :yum:

More poultry classes please.. :D

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:53 am »
We had a good day I muddled through a the pig show think it all worked out in the end, very tired afterwards once again Katie my daughter helped me greatly. My Bantams did well in the show getting a first with my Scots Grey cock and a first with my Scots Dumpy hen also second and third for our eggs. Met a few old friends lots of folks with red coats that were not known to me. I missed nearly every talk due to me gabbing and forgetting the time. What big ears the donkey has and the Swiss sheep were something different. Katie is talking about showing sheep god help me. At the pig show maybe a list of the classes for the spectators to see and an announcement verbally of which class is actually happening. Note to myself Must do better.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:54 am »

<<< Met a few old friends lots of folks with red coats that were not known to me >>>

I'm hopeless with putting names to faces, and TAS IDs just make it more difficult.  Could the red coats wear badges with their names on, including TAS names where appropriate?   I think I must miss friends from on here because I don't know what they look like.  Same for those not in red coats too of course.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »
This is true- I've not met Fleecewife yet (as far as I know), though I did clock Mr FW this year when he presented the trophy.

I thought the catering was ok- bacon roll was fine in the morning, but I didn't have any coffee there- I might have been tempted if there had been nice coffee though. Lunch was ok, but really the quality wasn't anything like the judges and officials lunches at Thainstone, which was lovely. I think it was the veg with the main course which was so disappointing- and there we were at a smallholder and grower event!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »
i accept its beyond dan and rosemarys control, but as ever the sausages there are the worst...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2014, 04:32:14 pm »
i accept its beyond dan and rosemarys control, but as ever the sausages there are the worst...

I never eat sausage anywhere but home. It's the rule. ;D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:12 pm »
Sounds wonderful once again.  I was so sorry to have missed it, having teeth pulled was definitely not a good alternative, but when I definitely make it next year, I will have very straight teeth.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »

[/quote]

I never eat sausage anywhere but home. It's the rule. ;D
[/quote]

Love it!

Could you have a TAS meeting point?  Coz I kinda pounce on people!  :roflanim: I was the loon in the totally practical pink coat.  :roflanim:

As a complete, 'no idea what I would see and find at the festival'  I thought I would be able to stock up on all your food?  Like sausages?  Or was I being inexperienced?  You know rare breed pork, goats cheese etc?  I say again, I had a fab time  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS