Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guess what the cat dragged in?  (Read 6923 times)

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
Guess what the cat dragged in?
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:03:52 pm »
Has anyone else got a cat with strange eating habits? My rescue Siamese has always had a thing about mushrooms and goes mad when I'm cooking them.

However this morning while I was having a cupppa she came flying in the kitchen with a hugh (well pretty big) mushroom, soil and grass still hanging to the base. I eventually managed to wrestle it off of her and breathed a sign of relief when I looked it up and found it was edible. Trouble is how do I get her to show me where she got it, so I can have some for tea?

Tried to post a photo but it's too large and I don't know how to reduce it.

Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Guess what the cat dragged in?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:51:52 pm »
Well, yours is bringing useful things ..... I had one cat who fetched hundreds of crisp packets, goodness knows where she got them all, but she did some litter picking in her time!!

One of the farm cats has brought three moles this week, which I am pleased about, as it may stop a few of the many mole hills.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:02 pm »
Mine has a strange eating habit.  When I clean the floor, I have to have the bowl in exactly the same place (compass and sextant time), otherwise he can't get his big fat whatsit in the right place to watch the door.  He soon tells me if it is not correct by showing me how difficult it is for him to fit in such a small area.  I move the bowl and he tucks in!!!??? :cat: maybe I have a  :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:16:43 pm »
My daughter's cat won't eat if she can see the bottom of the bowl - she thinks it needs refilling; and not unless someone stands beside her till she starts eating.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:37:46 pm »
Sorry peps

I've got one that beats that, we have four cats the youngest one is called Shep, he looks like a little black and white collie dog and he thinks he is one, if ever the chickens escape he rounds them up and puts them back in. Very Useful, but he loves cheerios, he nearly sits in the bowl whilst any one is eating breakfast and will not give up until he gets some.. If you don't he will sit at the cereal cupboard and cry and cry and cry....

The oldest on Shantel has sorted out our mole problem too.
Lavinia

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 05:48:03 pm »
Ours dragged in a dead shrew yesterday and something alive this morning. I was dozing, listening to Today n Radio 4 and composing myself for the day, when I heard squeeking under the bed. I decided to get it in a towel and put it out the bedroom window but by the time I got back squeeky had become crunchy and it was all gone.

Tonight I'm going to keep the bedroom doors closed. That was a real rude awakening. Glad they're hunting though - that's what we got them for.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 06:42:04 pm »
Lizzie our little kitten, was a bit miffed that we went to Belfast on Saturday and
did not feed the cats before we went.

When we got home, she was trying to drag a dead mouse up our drive, almost as
big as she is - from the woods.   She will not starve- bless her - good kitten ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »
Bamboo.  seriously. our ginger boy loves it when we have a chinese takeaway and he begs for bamboo and bean sprouts. seriously odd!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:03:51 pm »
Our old cat, Cassius, liked curry, chili, chips (he'd flick the wee crispy bits off your plate, given the chance), Doritos and crisps. I think as a former stray, he'd got used to eating pretty much anything. Although our kittens are developing eclectic tastes - Dan was making a fish pie last week and Harry stole a scallop. I also caught him having a chew at a pork bone that I had set aside for the dogs - the bone was almost as big as him!

Another shrew this morning.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:44:34 pm »
I always had to keep a look out at Christmas time as my old cat Sophie was daft about cake and I once found a big corner chewed away from one I was about to wrap up as a Christmas Present!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:34:43 pm »
I had 2 cats that love those jelly milk bottles, they would suck them for ages!!!!!!! I also remember on several occasions the cats putting dead pressies on the door step with a bit of dresisng, such as a flower, on the top!!!!! I also remember a cat getting "fudged" my daughters were making some but got the recipe wrong and it was not setting, so they took a shallow tray out side to cool, it was full of fudge, then the cat shot in tha the girls dropped the lot, some on the cat and the rest on the door mat!!!! The cat was licking it off for days!! ::)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 11:08:09 pm »
My cats eat the chickens' mealworms. Sarah my big fat tabby ate a WHOLE rabbit the other day (on the kitchen floor - saw what she was up to and left her to get on with it) - all that was left was the guts and back feet. She could hardly walk afterwards she was so full!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 07:47:32 am »
My cats love bananas!

My friends cat (a townie) used to come home with pieces of steak and chicken, sausages etc that were half cooked - she'd pinch them off BBQ's!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:53 am »
Around here "Look what the cats dragged in" means you have an unexpected visitor announced by some one that answered the door :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »
I got my cat when I was just finished as a student and still house sharing - so she loves pizza and chinese. If you put the pizza box out she sits in the lid and waits for her piece.

Nowadays she expects her plate to be filled as soon as she comes in in the evening. She shouts at the door, walks in and checks her bowl, and if it isnt filled shouts to go back out for 2 minutes, and then tries again. She will happily go in and out until I get sick of opening the door for her and feed her!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS