Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for someone to despatch geese  (Read 4432 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Looking for someone to despatch geese
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:45 pm »
Hi, I am looking for someone in the Oxon/Glos or Wilts area who could despatch, pluck & dress about 10 geese, anyone know of somewhere. I do my own chickens and ducks but I think the geese will be a bit of a challenge!  :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Looking for someone to despatch geese
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:02:26 pm »
youll be lucky, i live in norfolk and a few years ago there were 3-4 people doing it but last year noone is interested, a goose is only a big duck give it a go cause its going to get harder to find someone. There are a few ways to kill it but the easy way is a good sharp meat cleaver, but a bit bloody, you are allowed to use an air gun, fire point blank up under its chin upwards into the brain area, hold the bird by it feet so the head is on some soft ground for the pellet to end up in. its a 2 man job. its cost a few £s for someone to do it as they will need to be machine plucked useually and waxed.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »
harry you and your air gun. no unfortantly your not. the only lawful methods are chopping,neck breaking and stunning followed by either bleeding or neck breaking. the stunning by electric is the prefered method but stunning with a captive bolt gun is permited. however to do so you must have completed a slaughter course. and the ideal place should be into the cranium not under the neck.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:53:21 pm »
Soon we'll just have to wait for them to die of old age.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:47:56 pm »
Sounds like a buiness idea for someone there  :o  ;D

Have been asked the same question by a few of our customers here in Ireland
and we are finding it hard to get someone to do it here too.

Rusty - can you invent a machine ???   ::)  ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »
you would then be needing to register as a slaughter house. the captive bolt thingy looks good but at 180 a bit steep.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
aaaahhhhh ... now this is where my self reliance fails .....I hate killing anything ... people I could probably manage ok if I had to . But animals ....oh god .. I can do it but I hate it ....I end up upchucking everytime ....and ducks and geese ohh...The axe falls..... the head goes on the floor, and continues to quack silently, and then the headless ba**tard tries to fly off.....yuk yuk yuk ..puke puke .....oh well off to Tesco's for a chicken ...

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:02 pm »
No Russ, you stay put - you aren't allowed to go to Tescos ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:55:08 pm »
lol... I do stay put anyway ... Tesco's delivers ....I really hate Tesco's , and would rather buy my food in the local shop . Sadly the local shop was costing me double what tesco does  , plus they deliver to the door.
Principles are all well and good ...but you can't eat them ...!!! I am , however ,  near to the point where I can stop using Tesco altogether .

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:04:35 pm »
You are?  So you can make or grow - towels, bedding, electrical goods, toilet paper, meat, vegetables, milk, tea, coffee, juice, water, clothes, cheese, butter, jam, gosh I'm running out of ideas now.  We know some of these you can grow - what about the less likely ones, I'm intrigued. ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »
You will have to take the air gun issue up with Practical poultry mag, as they did an article listing it as a good method and after reading it ive used it. very good method for the queamish. Cant see the problem though as anyone is allowed to shoot an air gun and kill with landowners permission game and waterfowl., also with a shotgun, but ime not recomending that. Theres also the broom handle method.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:45:04 pm by harry »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 08:25:20 am »
i don't think using a shotgun on a chuck or even a goose. i could just picture the mess it would make. the wife would be un happy helpimg if i did.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS