Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Neonic's & GM mainly for Rusty but all welcome to give sensible reasoned input  (Read 5027 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
 As promised Rusty , I said I'd get back to you when I had some free time WRT the GM & neo nicotinoids thing.

I don’t know how you make your decisions, I usually make mine on known proven events and then use what I know to test what I’ve been told. The averages for being successful jumped tremendously from the time when I often  backed a popular unproven hunch or a crowd chant.

Over the last five years or so  I ‘ve read loads of articles against their use , all use the easy get out words of perhaps, if & maybe’s time and time again.
 None of them say we have done this test by recreating the levels of “ Neonic’s ” (neonicotinoids )   in test plants that are as found on plants grown from treated seed so that they duplicate field realities ..  So that straight away tells me none of them have done the research needed and proven any disadvantageous link to neonic’s & bees. It's all their assumptions  so far , be those biased or un biased ones they are still assumptions ..

I was fortunate to have time today ( 09/ 07 / 14 ( , to sit and watch the BBC for Wales at around 1830hrs .
When they brought on a farmer who said that the one effective pest control they had has now been taken from as of winter .  He pointed out how much they had managed to reduce the insecticides sprayed on the crops to allow us in the UK to enjoy cheap food. He also pointed out how using neonic’s had helped the biodiversity recover wrt insects other than the crop pests that are the basic food chain for the rest of the creatures that live off them , for in the past the pesticides killed everything.
 He mentioned the disappearance of swallows in Holland that has been proven beyond doubt apparently to have been the result of insecticide usage.

Now that last sentence hammers home a point I’ve made on here before , if neonic’s were responsible for the loss of bees then we would only see these losses in countries that use them . Evidently that is not the case , if it were I’d agree that there appears to be a  link that should be thoroughly investigates .
 There have been massive losses of the honey bee stocks all round the world especially in the so called civilized countries.  Perhaps we should be exploring the fact in a far greater depth that the exhaust emissions from vehicles fitted with catalytic emission controls  produce all manner of toxins that are proven to harm insects. That would fit a much better scenario for bee illness & losses when you realise that the emissions are blown all around the globe.( This may be a red herring as you'll read later on )

France has banned neonic’s for several years and as far as I know there has not been any great improvement in bee health. Till the last two years which is in line with the UK  ( who used the neonic’s ) .  Perhaps if the neonic’s were made by a French company they would not be banned in France.

The magnetic influence in our immediate area of outer space of around 21.12. 12 when the magnetic fields of planets lined up could have had a massive influence as it changed over the last six or so years,  it is now getting back to “ normal “.

Many of my fishing scientist associates think that this influence & that of the NAO has also affected plankton and fish spawning of late 1900’s and well into 2012 ) . Fish recruitment seems to have got better in a cyclic manner similar to that of the early 1960 when we had the gadoid ( cod ) explosion, which helped feed all manner of other creatures  in the higher  food chain with their spawn and  fry. 

The recent announcement about the licence for neonic usage not being granted in the UK for two years when it will be reviewed , is to me very suspicious .
The British Bee Keepers Association ( BBKA ) have been tasked by UK Gov. Plc. to look deeply in to the bee health  & neonic’s thing , using EU &  UK government dosh . They have been looking at neonic’s for about five years and they too don’t have any proof of things as yet  .

You’re almost as anti-establishment as I am, so when I say the governments own scientists have consistently said for several years that there is no conclusive link to bee health and neonic’s, why when an internet petition of around 500 ,000 was dumped onto governments door mat do they now totally ignore their own scientists and say " we won’t grant you a licence " ?

That stinks to high heaven of bad politics , that will come back and bite them in the butt big time
 I also wonder how many petitioners cheated and used  several identities or cheat names and email addresses many times or got others on the likes of face book  to jump on the band wagon  . A heck of a lot I suspect.

When I said I had it on good authority that the neonic’s were not the villain they are being made out to be you demanded proof chapter & verse .  That’s sad , there is no known proof despite zillions of tests & experiments  being done trying to prove there is a link .

Please do not confuse the Lethal dose experiments , they are of the Stone age in respect to modern analytical gas analysers use and genome work .  Years ago lethal dose testing was considered reached when 50 percent of the test batch died , often known as LD50 . You can imagine the horrible lab deaths from that if they were using animals and not plants. ‘s  The doses of LD neonic of in growing plants is minute , usually reduces dramatically as the plant grows and is thought to be inconsequential by the time the plant flowers . It appears to only affect the insects that the suck sap or eat that plant .
As most plants grow the chemicals in them change &  make the plants unattractive to a lot of insects .
I wish I had had  neonic treated cabbage seed now that he Cabbage whites have got the location of my gardens  :roflanim:

I did read that it was considered in a PEW Trust's  blurb it might be ,that perhaps the bees would get a dose of neonic’s via the pollen and nectar , far too many might’s, perhapses and maybe’s , yet again for that line of thought to be anywhere near useful , when the initial guidance for their usage was/is consistently being ignored in the USA .   i.e. Don’t drill or disturb the treated seed when it’s dry & windy .

That info seems to have dried up though if you know of some very recent original independent research ( 2013 /2014 ish  )  on it  I’m all ears .
 Please also do realize that some of the big scale American bee farmers who practice migratory bee pollination by the thousand hives at a time can find it very tempting to, " Do in their own hives " , claim an easy compensation  for very little effort .  It would also lead to higher pollination fees in the future because of “ the shortages “  . As was once said , “ All’s fair in love and war “ ..... Till your caught out .

One of my American internet friends , an ex large scale pollinator set up  told me of them siting their migratory hives of bees  in almond orchards a week before they came into flower.  so there was no feed for miles around .
Coupled with this the local farmers were behind in sowing because winter  was so wet so they ended up sowing neonic treated seed all around the hundreds of  thousands of acres of orchards  in very suddenly arrived dry windy conditions . He got wiped out & made a packet in compensation.

He wouldn’t answer my questions as to why he didn’t enquire how near the almonds were to flowering before he shipped them to the orchards,  nor as to why didn’t he check what was going on in the area re spraying and sowing .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Part of the reason good studies haven't been carried out has been due to lack of funding. It's also very difficult to carry out a realistic field study.
There is much more research being funded and carried out now so we should be heading towards some answers.

I carried out this study in 2011.
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gateway/file.php?name=whitehorn-2012.pdf&site=411
It's not perfect, but the difference in numbers of new queens produced was stark. Ignoring the high dose treatment, the low dose is a tiny amount of imidacloprid... Think a few drips in a fuel lorry, which is in line with the tiny doses found in pollen and nectar.

To be honest, I think that defra would have been better repeating our study a couple more times to check the result was always the same prior to banning/not banning neonics.
Doing the research the main thing I was shocked at was that companies only had to prove LD50 for bees was way higher than crop dosing levels and licence granted. I would like to see this reformed - for someone to come up with a robust experiment using colonies of foraging bees using treated crop plants, maybe in glass houses or similar prior to release on the market. But that's just me. I've not researched this for a year and don't know what new research has turned up.

The picture is not a simple one.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
Just had a quick read of the link , thenks for posting it . I found it very interesting & will be reading it several more times to get it in my skull.
 Your comment about more accurate research is indeed right on the money , we need far more of it from many different capable groups before we condemn or promote chemical usage .

For we will always be using some form of pest control on our industrialised groups grown in the UK /worlkd   ..the trouble is which will be the most effective and least damaging .

Can I ask  question or two ?
How /what were the conditions of raising the queens and how many sets of this control group were used in the research ( or have Ii missed that answer ) ?

How sure were you that the control group were not exposed to anything that could also do the opposite to reducing the queen production and thus actually gave them increased fecundity ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
There were twenty five colonies in control, low and high treatments. (I'm pretty sure!)
Colonies were raised commercially and bought in.
The conditions for all colonies were identical except for the tiny doses.

I was biased. I really wanted to find no difference as I am married to an arable farmer who can no longer use neonics! Has made for a few tricky conversations with friends and family.

I also argued that instead of a high treatment it would be more informative to have a half field realistic treatment; to see if some can be tolerated - I figured it was unlikely that all bees in a colony would forage on dosed plants and therefore a colony probably would be exposed to a lower level than found in pollen and nectar of treated crops.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Am I right Steph Hen that it's only honey bees which have been participating in research?  Far more pollination is carried out by bumble and other bees than by honey bees, and their life cycle is very different.

Surely the whole point of the ban - which is a temporary ban - is to give our researchers time to conduct some meaningful experiments, to produce science based facts?   I can see no point in pushing ahead with use of the neonicotinoid chemicals when we simply don't know what's going on.  This is not to say that the chemicals previously in use were better for insects, but we have at least had time to do the research with them, so they are a known quantity.

I don't understand this headlong rush to accept their use, based on the wants of a giant chemical company.  If they are as bad for wildlife as we suspect, then lets pause for a breather to get some research done, instead of moaning that not enough has been done.

BBC News has a report from Dutch research, published in Nature, which is a well respected publication, showing that neonicotinoid use is also affecting bird numbers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28216810     I haven't read the original paper, nor do I know the details of how the research was carried out.  I do however feel very strongly that we have to take the mounting evidence against the use of this chemical very seriously indeed.  The implications of getting it wrong are enormous.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:35:21 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
I don't know enough to give more than my own opinion (and I am an organic grower so you can probably guess what that it) but I wholeheartedly agree with Fleecewife that " I do however feel very strongly that we have to take the mounting evidence against the use of this chemical very seriously indeed.  The implications of getting it wrong are enormous. "

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
There were twenty five colonies in control, low and high treatments. (I'm pretty sure!)
Colonies were raised commercially and bought in.
The conditions for all colonies were identical except for the tiny doses.

I was biased. I really wanted to find no difference as I am married to an arable farmer who can no longer use neonics! Has made for a few tricky conversations with friends and family.

I also argued that instead of a high treatment it would be more informative to have a half field realistic treatment; to see if some can be tolerated - I figured it was unlikely that all bees in a colony would forage on dosed plants and therefore a colony probably would be exposed to a lower level than found in pollen and nectar of treated crops.

That would depend upon the temperature , wind speed , humidity , ground moisture , quality and quality of nectar on the crop.
If it were a high yielding crop all bees dessert the plants that are not as prolific quality producers if it is within an a bee's economical flight time from the hive or nest .

I've spent hours and hours watching the bee lines missing my garden in a low flyover for OSR flowers both in full nectar flow and also in not so full days  , field beans , pea flowers & apple orchards a few hundred metres away .

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Am I right Steph Hen that it's only honey bees which have been participating in research?  Far more pollination is carried out by bumble and other bees than by honey bees, and their life cycle is very different.

Surely the whole point of the ban - which is a temporary ban - is to give our researchers time to conduct some meaningful experiments, to produce science based facts?

Research has been done on bumblebees also. Have a look on google scholar for some papers.

I like your confidence in 'our scientists'. There is some good work being done, but there have been poorly executed studies also which confound the picture a bit and create doubt. The powers that be don't really understand science, or choose not to. And within science, it's mostly about publishing exciting papers in high impact journals rather than presenting the most robust tests possible.

With my own research in the above link, I think it was a good, sound study, with stark, significant results. However, there's still a chance it was flawed in some way... Really such studies should be repeated entirely using exactly the same methods, ideally at different institutions/locations, just to check. But we had no funding for this experiment and did it in between other jobs, there was no way we would have been able to make it any bigger.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 07:26:58 pm »
Sorry mate , not been on for a bit .
 I didn't demand mate , i asked , sorry if it came over that way though .
So , no definitive study has been carried out , if there had been  there wouldn't be a 2 year ban  would there ?
If buts and maybes don't prove anything i agree , but neither does some farmer voicing an opinion on some tv prog !
As for the bee keeper on the fiddle in usa , there are crooks in all walks of life , but because he is crooked does that mean 'all' beekeepers in usa are at it too ?
The e-petition , no doubt there would be some double signing , but with those numbers it would involve thousands or even tens of thousands , or a few very tired people  who need to get out more .
How do i come to my conclusions ? I follow the money .
It is so much quicker and easier .
Like farmer giles on the bbc , i have my own opinion mate and yes where big pharma , gm , petro chem etc are concerned i am always at best dubious , but i am always willing for them to prove my doubts wrong . I shant be holding my breath though mate lol . 

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: .
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:28:09 am »
Sorry mate , not been on for a bit .
 I didn't demand mate , i asked , sorry if it came over that way though .
So , no definitive study has been carried out , if there had been  there wouldn't be a 2 year ban  would there ? More like it's votes they would like to have at the next general election .
If buts and maybes don't prove anything i agree , but neither does some farmer voicing an opinion on some tv prog !
The farmer was pointing out the advantages as he perceived it from his experience of using it on his, rather than simply being opinionated. 

As for the bee keeper on the fiddle in usa , there are crooks in all walks of life , but because he is crooked does that mean 'all' beekeepers in usa are at it too ?
 The biggest bee problem in the USA appears to be an own goal due to incorrect proceedures in sowing.

The e-petition , no doubt there would be some double signing , but with those numbers it would involve thousands or even tens of thousands , or a few very tired people  who need to get out more .

I have been involved in sea angling legislation and how it will affect sea angler and small inshore boat fishermen who make a hard living at catching fish for just over 10n years  .
 The various green orgs stirred and reheated many times by the likes of Hugh Fernley Whittingstall ( that TV slop jockey gook cook guy  ) presented a massive petition to the government demanding at least 121 linked sites around our coasts where there should be no extractive actions so that included fishing.

The government funded the " research " , what the petitioners failed to do was to also mention that over 300,000 sea angling  guys were very much against what was being proposed and many ( me included ) actually wrote a set of notes on their website for each proposed site to remain free of their interference & why .

It was only when this was brought to the attention of some of the much higher up's  in Brussels legislation that things began to change.
 The final tally of , "Protected at all cost sites" , was eventually 11 independent sites miles apart . Ye gods you should have heard the gum bumping & howls of the petitioners on that one  .

These on line petitions are used by governance to find out the popular chant so to speak , to see how they can turn it to votes for the party or give themselves  breathing space to do some deep thinking of how to avoid a drubbing over the petitions content .

How do i come to my conclusions ? I follow the money .
It is so much quicker and easier .
Like farmer giles on the bbc , i have my own opinion mate and yes where big pharma , gm , petro chem etc are concerned i am always at best dubious , but i am always willing for them to prove my doubts wrong . I shant be holding my breath though mate lol .

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Cloddopper, when you reply within a quote the text is formatted into a column on text about an inch wide. I don't know if it's just my iPad screen doing it or if it's the same for other people, but I've noticed this before and just wanted to let you know it makes some of your posts hard to read.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I'm only able to see an incomplete column down one side, in red, so it's unreadable gobbledegook.  Sorry clodhopper.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
Ah well,  never mind ,perhaps it wasn't such a good post after all .
I too have got it over printed in red down the right hand side.

I don't know if this will continue , but a lot of my American bee keeper friends inn the USA  are reporting that there are lots of healthy bees around this season. finger crossed it will continue .. any idea what might have caused the change ??? 

It seems that a lot of the central USA is experiencing almost 1920's dust bowl temperature , weather & conditions .

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Last year was a good year for bumbles, locally tO me. This year has been good also.
Although seen very few redtailed bumblebees. Three so far. I'd have expected to have seen 100 by now.
The picture is very complicated, we don't have enough data to build models to predict bee numbers, there are too many factors and too many unknowns. It's pretty obvious that stormy wet summers or areas with no wild flowers are bad for bees. But we don't understand the impact of a windy week in spring, or know if a farmer putting in a small patch of clover is good for providing food or if it promotes rapid transfer of parasites to all local nests by acting as a magnet. Like wooden bumble bee nesting boxes, nice idea, but rarely work, and those that are occupied much more likely to be destroyed by wax moths.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
I have zillions of flowers in bloom in my gardens from early February right through to the frosts .  This year the number of bumble bee , mortar bees ,wasps and other nectar& pollen collecting insects has gone crazy they are in abundance a plenty .

Earlier this evening I was transplanting some just broken out in flower dwarf French marigolds , it was amusing to keep moving the flower in my hand and see the bee try to follow & land on it .

By the time I'd added a few more marigolds into all the hanging baskets , most of the baskets were alive with bees.  It was a bit un nerving to have your head in with the bumble bees as their sting are usually far more painful than a honey bee's or a wasp's

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS