Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lime  (Read 3372 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Lime
« on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:20 pm »
Is it possible to lime a small paddock in the winter. Its bad for buttercups and I have heard that lime would help. I don't use this paddock in the winter months.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
Re: Lime
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:59:57 pm »
First thing before you go spending money - get the pH checked!
You may wish to consider using  calcified seaweed as a liming agent. It's slow release and you can continue using the paddock following application.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:16:00 pm »
That's good to know, thanks.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:38 pm »
Has anybody checked soil pH themselves?  I'd imagine it's just a matter of slurrying some soil up in water and then using pH paper, or is there more to it than that?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:37:55 am »
You can buy soil pH meters for very little..just a pair of prongs stuck in the ground and read the result. However even though my chemistry is pretty rusty I'd guess that it's obe think to read the pH for averages on days of differing soil moisture and quite another to really know the effect of additions to modify it. I'd guess there has to be a variable buffering effect. At a simple level you could probably slurry a weight of test sample and read against increasing additions of lime to the level desired?

I'm also pretty sure results will vary with rainfall, run-off from hills and streams and even seasonally??

I waked around this place before i bought it.. digging  small holes to test depth of soil and assess quality and take pH readings - just using what I thought was common sense. General pH overall was slightly acid (around 6) with pockets of greater acidity and (suprising to me) it was actually more alkaline near the boggy, marshy bits.

Whilst i didn't actually measure the pH where I panted a few vines - but in a few places in the same garden - they didn't do well. Retesting recently and pH was 8.

Pehaps borrowing a book on soil analysis from the library would have been a better move..

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:40 am »
pH testing is not a one off thing. We test probably 2 or 3 times a year over an average of at least 5 samples from designated areas of the fields.
The accuracy of cheap battery powered testers available at garden centres or off flea bay, are questionable in my experience.
Much prefer to use the old BDH type i.e., soil indicator, barium sulphate, distilled water, and a pH colour chart for making comparisons on the field chart with previously taken recordings.
The accuracy of your own recordings can be checked easily by sending random samples off to a soil lab occasionally.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:04 pm »
Back to the original problem as well - we have a high pH (7.8 average) as a result of being on chalk hills but still have tons of buttercups both creeping and otherwise. So I'm not sure liming will get rid of them - or were you looking to attract them  ???.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51:20 pm »
We have sprayed them for the past few years. It was my farmer friend who suggested lime. The paddock in question can get flooded in the winter months hence not used. I pull up all the buttercup runners when I come across them but still they thrive.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 09:40:24 pm »
I HATE BUTTERCUPS TOO.....no they are quite nice to look at but I wish they were not ALL over the field!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:28:35 am »
whilst Buttercups will tolerate a low ph far better than grasses and can therefore out compete them it does not always automatically follow that the minute you raise the ph the buttercups disappear. Once established and widespread it may well be necessary to spray them off. buttercups thrive in soil that is acidic, wet and compacted simply because grass doesn't. It may pay to check soil for compaction too. take a spade and dig a hole, that will soon tell you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS