Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Identification requirements for pigs going to slaughter in Scotland  (Read 7341 times)

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
A wee question for you guys north of the Border - I know it's on here somewhere but can't seem to find it.  Have 2 tams ready for big sleepies and am confused as to the requirements for having them slaughtered - |I mean - identification.  I see that certainly in England all pigs have to be ear-marked.  However, I have been given to understand that as long as they are identifiable - and by that - even a red cross on them - then - that's good enough.  They have unreadable tatoo marks in their ears which they were given by their breeder - so not a lot of use really.  Sorry to be a pest - as I say, I am certain that I have read this on here somewhere before.  Guess I could find out directly from the abbattoir but your comments would be appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Identification requirements for pigs going to slaughter in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:51:07 pm »
Providing they are under a year old then a temporary mark will do.
Which slaughterhouse are you using?

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:32 pm »
They will have to go to our nearest abbattoir in Galashiels (about 30 mins journey). I am told that Mondays is their pig day and that they don't slaughter many pigs anyway. Am to take them along for about 7 in the morning.  I assume a more permanent mark (ear-tag say) would just ensure you got your piggy back. What's with the slap-mark - surely that just comes away when they are skinned?! Dunno - first time for us - so teeny bit anxious. Have got brilliant butcher sorted - he's even happy for me to go in and help/hinder/get under his feet. Whats the score with disinfecting the trailer?  Guess all this gets easier with practice and experience.  Where do you take your pigs? Thanks for your help. N

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »
 :pig: a slap mark shows on the pork as it is a tattoo on the shoulders. we use this as our slaughter house never send the ears back and we can make sure we get our own pigs back this way. a friend of ours sent white pigs to slaughter but got ginger hairs on their pork ? they now use a slap mark. ;)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:49:45 pm »

I take my pigs to Galashiels ear tagged and my butcher said that he got them back with tags on. Need to send Food chain info prior to going I faxed mine through on the friday before. I was there last Monday about 6am and it was getting busy as I was leaving, passed at least 6 trailers heading in. There only seems to be 1 lairage man on and he has to run back and forward between sheep and pigs so suggest if you have no time to waste better to be early. Trailer should be cleaned out within 24 hrs. Good luck first time is the worst
Anne

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:52 pm »
I use Carluke but I'm in the west coast(argyll) so whereever I go is miles!!
Please remember and do your food chain information too.
And remember your movement licence too!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:57:00 am »
Definitely slap mark.  Friends sent 2 GOS and got back 1 gos with head, and one white pig without head and with a docked tail.
They always slap mark both shoulders now.

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 12:32:39 pm »
Food chain info????!!!!   

OK so ear-tag tool or slap-marker required then.  Markings just have to be something recognisable as yours, yeah?

Hey - Daisy'smum - where are you?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 03:04:00 pm »
Food chain information is a decleration of any medicine given.
You should be able to download from the slaughterhouse website or the animal health website.
It's just another page of paper needed!!!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:59:19 pm »

Hi Nisbet I am in Reston, just a few miles from Eyemouth. I got my food chain paperwork from either Trading Standards or Animal Welfare, can't remember which!
Anne

Nisbet

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:44:49 am »
Thanks guys.  I'll speak to the abbattoir when I book them in. Hi Daisysmum - we're across to Reston occassionally (we have a wee taxi company too) - will look out for yer piggies - what type you have?  Have ordered "Slapper" - got scared about not getting the right little piggy back.  The lassie asked me what markings/letterings etc I wanted - I did think about something along the lines of "All of this piggy belongs to Nettie so keep your theiving hands off or there'll be big trouble" - then she told me how much each letter was - so got sensible then.  Busy looking up ideas regarding curing - need to have a wee shot at our own ham/bacon etc - any pointers would be hugely appreciated - although I guess it'll all be on the forum somewhere.  Many thanks to you all - are you guys getting over to the get-together in Glasgow in December? N x

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:00 pm »
You should be able to get food chain document from abattoir. If you want to have a go at bacon curing, I have some cure mix left from my last batch I can send some to you with instructions if you want.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 07:51:59 pm »

Afraid you wont be able to see my piggies unless you look in my freezer, however will be getting more in the spring just not sure yet what kind probably GOS as they are bred locally and so easy to get. Had saddlebacks last time.Also had a couple of Pietrains which had been running free range for 5 months they were pretty big and very lean, chops the size of a dinner plate.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 10:11:57 am »
Did the pietrains make as good bacon as the saddlebacks?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 12:00:21 pm »

I didn't do any bacon as the people who bought them only wanted pork,I kept 1/2 for myself and I must say the pork is really good,although I do wish now that I had got some bacon. Pork now coming out our ears!!!!
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS