Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Country File - No Feet Trimming?  (Read 12986 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Country File - No Feet Trimming?
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:00:47 pm »
On Country File this week, they were saying not to trim back sheep feet.

And in cases of Foot Rot use the blue anti-biotic spray, but still don't trim back.

What do you think?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Country File - No Feet Trimming?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »
Watched that with interest too as I have had a lot of lameness this year, I'm afraid that I would have had to tidy up that sheep's feet, I am finding that if I don't trim my Zwartbles their feet are splaying, my tup was particularly bad in his hind feet. I noticed that they did also treat with antibiotics, whats the betting that it was the one that only vets can give (cant remember the name).
Anne

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »
Micotil.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:13:02 pm »
Mycotil.  Yes, it will be. 

It's not new, what she was saying; I attended a Defra session on eradicating footrot two years ago saying exactly the same thing.  Well, they did allow paring to determine the problem; which in the case of full-blown footrot doesn't need any paring as you can smell it from 3 metres.

What it also didn't say is the number of different foot conditions there are.  We don't see a huge amount of actual footrot here, but we do see other foot problems.  As we get older I am getting harder on the lame ewes, and urging BH to cull those, even the ones which get better after only one treatment.  We (that is, he) won't be able to tip up this many Texel ewes every year forever...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:28:33 pm »
On Country File this week, they were saying not to trim back sheep feet.

And in cases of Foot Rot use the blue anti-biotic spray, but still don't trim back.

What do you think?

This has been the advice folowing a study by Warwick University (I think) for some time now. 'Do not foot trim sheep with overgrown feet unless it is affecting their ability to walk'

Advice here

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/lifesci/research/greengroup/farmersandvets/footrotinsheep/

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
Mycotil.  Yes, it will be

No it wont, Micotil maybe....  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 12:55:48 pm »
The advice I was given was to not trim. I find it really hard not to though, when they look hellish.

It's a lot less work, for sure, but if they get overgrown, it's much harder to correct. It might be OK in commercial flocks of hunners and hunners of sheep that are probably going to be culled at 5 years old anyway.

Plus we have folk visit our place and I would be uncomfortable having sheep with hugely overgrown feet on show. And what about the show ring?

And will overgrown feet not affect how they walk? I don't mean lame but we get the cows trimmed every year - they aren't lame but if the feet are overgrown, they walk differently to compensate and this can affect the pelvis and the back. Would teh same not apply to sheep or does it not matter?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:26 pm »
It could be any of the appropriate antibiotics available for foot rot (incl Alamycin etc), and they will need to be vet-prescribed because they are antibiotics.

I've been following that warwick uni advice for a couple of years, works well.  I think though you would go back and trim up that hoof once the infection has cleared up, just so that it isn't impairing the sheep' ability to walk.  Did he separate the ewe to stop it spreading?

It's a bit poor that CF is so behind the times.  It's also a bit poor that Adam has a ewe with such bad feet, you would think he would try to set a good example, in fact why hasn't he researched this earlier if he has such an ongoing problem?  But then again ...  I visited his farm park a couple of years ago on a hot sunny day and there were chickens there with no water available, so maybe welfare isn't their top priority ...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 01:03:33 pm »
We eliminated footrot from the flock by vaccinating with Footvax seven years ago.  One of the best shepherding decisions I ever made.  I check the ewes feet regularly but only trim when I consider it necessary.  On our heavy ground if the horn grows under and makes a "pocket" it fills with mud in the WInter and then they can get Shelly Hoof.  If that gets too bad it can occasionally lead to Toe Granuloma, which is painful for them so ..... I trim.  I haven't had to cull a sheep because of bad feet for many years but ..... I trim.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
According to Agnes Winter (I think) Shelly Hoof is the only reason to trim a hoof back.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 01:18:31 pm »
I think you should use your own judgement according to the appearance of the foot.
We get few foot problems in our Hebs but the Shetlands with white hooves tend to be worse.  We check everyone's feet at least once a year before tupping, plus at shearing, but there's not usually much to do.  The odd hoof with a torn bit we feel should be neatened up before muck gets stuck up in the hoof and a problem begins.  Feet with great long winkle picker toes do need to be trimmed in my opinion - why wouldn't you?  Maybe in a very large flock there is the danger of rot bugs being passed from sheep to sheep on the foot shears or hoof knife, but with smaller numbers we can be careful about tool hygiene.
The ideal of course is to have some good rocky ground where they can play king of the castle and wear the hooves down.  We have not a single rock, nor any hard standing they can use regularly, but plenty of wet grass which is hell on sheeps feet.
In the case of an actual foot rot occurrence, our first line of defence would be a dipping of the affected foot in Golden Hoof.  Antibiotics would be the last resort and I am concerned that it appears to be the first line of treatment suggested.
We have an ancient Shetland ewe who we stopped breeding from years ago because she has a tendency to bad feet.  I love her fleece though, so we keep her in the orchard with a couple of ancient Soays which have cast iron feet.  The only sheep on the place which had maggots so far this year was this ewe - only in one foot.  I suppose they were attracted to the smell  :P  However, any rot had been well cleared by the maggots, with no damage to the flesh underneath - job done.  Maggots used to be used in human wounds to clean up slough and infection - apparently it tickles a bit but is otherwise pain free.  Maybe we should try it again with sheep  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »
Mycotil.  Yes, it will be

No it wont, Micotil maybe....  ;)

I thought we didn't do taking the p about spelling and grammar?  ;)

NOAH knew what I meant  :huff: - but you are right, it is spelled Micotil
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »

I've been following that warwick uni advice for a couple of years, works well.  I think though you would go back and trim up that hoof once the infection has cleared up, just so that it isn't impairing the sheep' ability to walk. 

Nah, Amanda Owens-lookalike vet said the Quarantine referred to quarantining animals you bring on.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 01:28:51 pm »
We have not a single rock, nor any hard standing they can use regularly, but plenty of wet grass which is hell on sheeps feet.

I agree, it is. Especially when you have sheep that aren't suitable for wet conditions... So I'd say "it all depends"!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 01:42:05 pm »
I thought we didn't do taking the p about spelling and grammar?  ;)

We didn't shake on it  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS