Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lumpy udder  (Read 5222 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Lumpy udder
« on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:27 am »
Hi, this follows on my post from last week where I reported that one of my ewes had lost a lot of condition and was running a high temperature.  I weaned her two lambs and treated her with a course of Metacam and Betamox LA.  She seems to be improving, is gaining weight and acting normally.  I have however noticed that one of her udders is bigger and harder than the other.  There seems to be a hard mass in there but she has none of the other signs of mastitis, isn't running a temperature and there is no redness or heat in the udder which feels fine to the touch.  What do you think this could be?  I am hoping that this is just her udders readjusting given that she no longer has her lambs with her but am worried it could be something more sinister. 
Helen

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Lumpy udder
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:54 am »
I think when you add all those things together it tends to = mastitis

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:04 am »
I would have thought the same but the ewe isn't off her food at all and doesn't seem at all unwell now and there is no heat or redness in the udder.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:00:48 pm »
The hardness is more than likely the result of mastitis, chances are she will have little or no milk on that side next lactation  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »
The hardness is more than likely the result of mastitis, chances are she will have little or no milk on that side next lactation  :(
I'm inclined to agree - but some do make a full recovery, so fingers crossed she does  :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:32 pm »
Keep her and find out next time round or cull her out, personally I would cull something with a lopsided lumpy udder but biology is infinitely variable and I have not seen her! They can slough their entire udder and be scampering around happy as you like, also being as you gave antibiotics and anti inflams she would be less likely to be looking sorry now, probably that side has gone and she will have little milk that side or even worse it could flare up just prior to lambing next time round.

Plenty of one-teated ewes running around the world. Maybe not near here..

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »
Anything with a suspect udder goes.  I cull to make life easier and finding a ewe with twins that has only one teat or mastitis means at best I have newly lambed ewes with singles available and can foster on one or both of them (and leave the ewe pining for her lambs) or at worst bottle feeding until a ewe lambs with a single and having to medicate the ewe to save her.  I have quite enough to do at lambing without giving myself any more work!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:57 pm »
What about non-lopsided lumps?  I have some ewes drying up post weaning and a couple have some lumps around the centre line between the udders (if u get me).

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 01:05:17 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  What do I do now?  Do I give more anti-biotics and Metacam or leave her as she is scampering around and not off her food and putting on weight.  What I find so puzzling is that there was never any heat or discolouration in the udder to start with.  This was the first thing I checked when she was under the weather and her udders seemed normal then.  I think that I would be tempted to breed from her for one more season (she had cracking twins) but with an understanding that I may have to bottle feed. 
Helen

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 01:46:25 pm »
In those circumstances I would lay off the drugs for now, but monitor carefully.

It is your choice if you choose to breed from her again, as you are clear about the potential implications.  I have a Kerry Hill ewe who is one sided (since last lambing time), she is a super sheep and I did breed from her this year, she can raise one lamb no problem, had she had twins I would have topped one up and lifted it as soon as I had a sheep to set it on to, I do this because I love the sheep and I lamb the Kerrys earlier than everything else so I do have the time to deal with twins from her if need be, but I wouldn't keep a one sided sheep in the commercial flock as at main lambing time we wouldn't have time to deal with it, and the cost implications are high(compared to value) if you end up bottling.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:54:44 pm »
You have to spot mastitis very early and get a/bs into the ewe straight away to have a chance of solving the problem before the udder is irretrievably affected.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS