Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Despatching Chickens - Just a bit more detail please  (Read 6988 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Despatching Chickens - Just a bit more detail please
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 09:51:17 am »
I have always used the broomstick method as it seemed to be a better way than chicken in one hand and head in the other etc. I was fearful of half doing it otherwise. I wouldn't do it any other way. we did do some unwanted cockerels we'd hatched and grown on once and otherwise its only when  they get a bit old and unwell and need putting out there misery. until this week its always been me rather than the wife. last weekend we resolved that Big Ginge our original hen, who was a local legend, had got so frail that we needed to put an end. for a couple of weeks we hoped fervently that each morning when we opened up that she had popped off in the night to save me the job.As it was Ginge it was one of those things that I kept putting back a day. The other morning the wife crept back into bed in the wee small hours sobbing- " I've done it" she said. " done what" ! I mumbled barely awake " Big Ginge, I've done it, I couldn't sleep for worrying about her so I've done it- and Bobble as well"
she had never seen me do the broomstick but had heard me describe it. aside from her tears for our old girl she couldn't believe how easy it was. so easy that whilst she was on a roll she also did our pesky critter Bobble,who rarely laid and was either broody or terrorising and riding our more productive hens. broomstick every time.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Despatching Chickens - Just a bit more detail please
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
Pick up chicken, tuck under left arm, and with right hand, strike back of head with hard, blunt, implement.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS