Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with cattle  (Read 10224 times)

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Starting with cattle
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:04 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a Dexter cow or two and wonder what bureaucracy I will have to go through - there has to be a lot of form-filling, registering, inspections etc. Anyone gone down this road?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Starting with cattle
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:54 am »
I think cattle are pretty heavy on the old form filling but someone here will be able to help. Just not me although I will note with interest the replies - just in case!!

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
I started with Highland cattle just over a year ago. I now have four and am hoping to add to this at the weekend. You need to have a holding number as with any stock. Then you need a herd no. You need to register with DEFRA for cattle and most of the paperwork can be done online. They send you loads of information about TB etc and sticky labels to put on passports - although movements can be done online as also births can be notified online. You will be notified after about 9 months of keeping cattle about TB testing. This will be done every 12 months for the first 3 years as it is classed as a new herd and then you will go onto your parish testing. Mine is every 4 years but some are 3, 2, or even yearly depending on the incidence. Other records are as for any animals eg medicine records, batch numbers, where you purchased from etc. If you decide to keep cattle do your research regarding paperwork first as it can be worrying playing catch up. Contact me if you want more specific information.
Karen

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:08:18 pm »
once initial paperwork is done there is very little to do until slaughter, cows have individual passports that follow the animal. weve found dexters excellent, if your going to get some they are herd animals so 2 min 3 would be better to start. we are using AI instead of bull and had no problems with calving. our first beef steer has just come back from butcher and meat quality and taste is superb..........good luck   neil

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:12:58 pm »
Thanks for replies. I'm leaning towards getting two weaned Dexters to rear for beef.
Any book recommendations?
Regards,
Muc

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:44:08 am »
Dexters?  more trouble than they're worth!  See "Runaway cows"!!

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:12:55 pm »
This link has got me curious, how much land do a couple of dexters need.

Be forewarned though, if your answers allows me to start considering it my girlfriend may finally give up on me!!

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:41 pm »
Oink, I'm told that traditionally an acre was required for a cow (I think that that's how the measurement came about in the first place). With Dexters, I have read somewhere, that half an acre will do.
I assume by your name that you too are a pig man. I reckon if we can keep pigs fenced in, Dexters shouldn't be any more trouble.

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
Really relate to Muc's comment on pigs - one of our Tamworths has recently got the idea that if she runs at the fence (electric) really fast, then the pain will be less as she flies through it.  She only does this at feeding time, and is then faced with the problem of getting back through the fence to get to the feed.  And they say pigs are bright ....

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:15:09 pm »
Our Gloucesters are fenced in with a solid wood and wire fence and have never been a problem. Cows on the other hand - I stood and watched as our Murray Greys and Blonde D'Aquitaines jumped over a stile!  The Dexters certainly have no respect for electric fencing if they get spooked.  This all sounds a bit negative and I do love having the cattle, they certainly taste good - have just eaten burgers for tea! so dont be put off.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »
only advice i would give is get cattle that are well handled if its your 1st time, any cattle can be spooky when brought to a new home, well handled cattle, preferably halter trained are much easier to deal with. spend as much time as poss with your cows and they are so much easier, we loaded ours into the trailer in two's to bring them home, all walked in really well, my friend with a commercial herd has spent 3 days trying to corral them, only two left to catch ;D

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:16:15 am »
What sort of fortifications do I need for these beasts?
At the moment, I have old dry stone walls, about a meter high and was thinking of an electric fence inside this. Should I get to work on something stronger?
Regards,
Muc

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 11:01:37 am »
I just have dry stone walls. Once one did jump into next doors field but stood at the gate wanting to come back- this proves the grass is not always greener on the other side ;D One cow does tend to rub on the copers and knock them off so my OH has to go and put them back on a weekly basis.
Karen

Di

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:51:26 pm »
Definately Dexters!  As someone else said try and get well handled ones as it will make life a lot easier.  Getting them used to following a bucket of nuts helps too.  A cattle crush is almost essential for any cattle - well it helps enormously.

Are you just intending rearing 2 for beef or breeding?  We started with a halter trained, in calf cow with her calf at foot.  However, its grown - they are addictive.  We now have 2 cows and a heifer we will breed from next year, last year's steer and this year's 2 calves.  All calves end up in the freezer and the beef is wonderful.

Good luck.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:29:31 pm »
Dexters are just about the worst breed you could get.
Vets love them in the way that burglars love Jack Russell terriers.
Don't make the mistake of believing that smaller breeds are easier to handle - they're not.
Get some really steady crossbreds. Anything with British Blue in it is incredibly docile and easy to handle (see avatar, left).
(British Blue is the UK strain of Belgian Blue, originally developed from the beef shorthorn).
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS