Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling Ryeland tups  (Read 3045 times)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Selling Ryeland tups
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »
We have three Ryeland tups, two White and one coloured. One of each colour is registered of which One is two years old and one three. Because they had been released into the field with the ewes before we took ownership it is hard to be sure how successful they were this year, but from the lambs produced it looks like they managed to father some, which seem good and healthy. One ewe, with twins, had one stillborn. Now we have decided to sell the tups, and the unregistered Ryeland ewes.
The question is : do we take them on a six to seven hour journey south to Thainstone to the market there to sell at their registered stock sale in, I think, September with a petrol cost of about £70, or just sell locally at Quoybrae or Dingwall ? Hereabouts, there don't seem to be any Ryelands in fields although both the registered ones came from less than ten miles away so I'm very unconfident that there is much of a local market which was confirmed by the folk at Quoybrae, but are the returns likely to be worth the extra travelling costs to Thainstone ? All opinions welcome. Thanks.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Selling Ryeland tups
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
Are you a member of the breed society? Could be a good place to advertise.  Or find a few noticeboards (ag. merchants, for instance) and point out that they're a good breed to use on hogetts (or whatever your local name is for first-timers) for ease of lambing and good conformation.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:01:10 pm »
If it is anything like the Llanwenog sale I viewed last summer it wouldn't have been worth traveling the 30 miles I did.... only the king pins of the show world sold anything!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »
If it is anything like the Llanwenog sale I viewed last summer it wouldn't have been worth traveling the 30 miles I did.... only the king pins of the show world sold anything!
I agree with Linda. We went to the RFBS show at Ludlow last year and the 'big boys' had it all sewn up. I didn't feel at all comfortable there.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 07:30:24 pm »
Thank you all for your advice.  I think what I'll probably do nearer the time I'm ready, is post on here, but then take them to the local mart if there are no takers, as I suspect I'm too far away for most folk  :(
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:57 am »
hi there, I sold my tups at the local market last year and they did quite well. think if I'd have sold at say skipton or chelford my price would have been well down as I'd have been competing with the big boys. Also if you sell local it helps you build up a reputation :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:01 am »
dingwall is a nice mart.
i wouldnt travel to thaintone from that distance for 3 sheep.
if you have trouble selling them - put them in the freezer.or offer to local butcher.
rbst website is another option. or advertise locally.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 10:45:25 pm »
I agree with you firther, if you aren't known at Skipton or only have a throughput of 50- 150 lambs a season then you have no chance of a decent price for lambs. Holmfirth may be rough and ready but the buyers there just want good lamb and are prepared to pay for it. The buyers at Skipton just want to keep the very big producers sweet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS