Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - Finishing or topper mower - Scottish Borders  (Read 3197 times)

edandfred

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kelso Scottish Borders
Wanted - Finishing or topper mower - Scottish Borders
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:30:23 am »
Wanted - does anyone have a used finishing or topper mower for sale? Preferably 5 or 6ft wide with adjustable cutting height. Willing to collect if a reasonable distance from Kelso.

Just starting our small holding which is really exciting  :excited:, the OH has bought his compact tractor and we're collecting our implements now and then the fun begins with sheep and pig shopping!
 :sheep:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Wanted - Finishing or topper mower - Scottish Borders
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:17 am »
Hi, we don't have one I'm afraid but just letting you know that it may be worth contacting the mowers place in St Boswells in the Charlesfield Industrial Estate (just next turning on A68 south of the one for the cricket ground) as they sometimes have ones to sell that they've reconditioned or they may know someone who may help.  They're open most Saturday mornings.  They're better and cheaper than going to LLoyds.  Or sometimes those trade advert type newspapers (the yellow ones) are good, or have you tried www.gumtree.com? that's where we buy and sell mostly. If you type in Kelso or your postcode and then do a 50mile radius you should get something nearbyish.   :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

edandfred

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kelso Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:01:25 pm »
Thanks Goosepimple for the suggestions. Will try St Boswell mowers, as well as keep an eye out on Gumtree - I like Preloved and ebay too but most things are down south so transporting up to us is expensive.

Will also try the auction mart at St Boswells again once they have their next sales.

If you hear of anyone who wants to sell their topper or other bits of equip eg bale spike, post borer etc then please let us know.

Sounds as though you have quite a collection of livestock on your small holding - we have 5 acres and hoping to start ours with some sheep. Waiting for our CPH number - seems to be taking ages though - nearly 3 weeks now?!As first timers we may keep Ryelands or Shetlands as they are easy to look after. Of course this is after we have secured/replaced our fencing !! :eyelashes:

Thanks for the chat Goosepimple and look forward to chatting with you again! :wave:

Loving the Accidental Smallholder site - compulsive viewing for my OH

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:51:37 am »
I find gumtree more local, ebay you're right is usually too far to collect.  Will keep an eye out - sometimes an ad in local farm supply shops is good too, Country Corner where you are, Harbro in Duns and Earlston.

You're welcome for a visit here anytime, easy route from Kelso, we're on the A697 main road, Dod Mill. 

I can tell you all the mistakes I've made over the years, may help you to take a few short cuts  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:28 pm »
If you don't mind new and unbranded contact www.mdlpowerup.com; just brought their 5ft Flail mower and it tops really well and with the Y shaped flails on I've been cutting 4ft reeds down this afternoon, was going to post a few photos later anyway; heres one now  :)

P.S The deliver as well
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS