Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb prices  (Read 8426 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Lamb prices
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 02:11:44 am »
Impossible?

Piglet - £20-35

Feed - £5 per 25 kilo sack.

Kill and Cut - £35.

Total cost probably about £105-£120

Plus a little straw and wormers etc.

Just had two, that cost about £110 each to rear etc, and had back an average of about 65 kilo of pork and 100 sausages off each  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 08:29:31 am »
Lauren, your kill and cut is very cheap. What area do you live in?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 08:58:07 am »
I worked out it costs me around £200 per pig excluding cost for sausages and gammon if I had it. This is made up of feed, piglet and slaughter cost but doesn't include any extras like bread, wormer or equipment. It's impossible to do it cheaper unless you are breeding yourself but even then the cost of the sow's keep will make you run at a loss.

We gave up with pigs, with the costs involved it just didn't make sense.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 09:25:45 am »
Bionic - South Wales.

I'm lucky enough to have a very very good master butcher about 5 mins away, who also have a slaughterhouse attached to the butchers shop.

For 35 quid I get the pigs killed and butchered into the usual chops, joints, loin, belly etc etc, nicely packaged and labelled and back in half pig boxes. The butcher also has a very good local name, so it helps when selling the meat.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:32 pm »
Well depends maybe on type of pig. I like OSB so piglet is £45-50. We can't get feed at £5 a bag and slaughter is £45 but for that there is no fancy labels or packaging just cut and bagged into a box. If I want sausages it's another £1.20ish/lb and gammon and bacon costs £85 a pig in slaughter and butcher. I do live in a fairly cash rich area so sell it at £8/kg.

Maybe I will try a different breed next time if piglets are cheaper.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS