Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: holding register / medicine book  (Read 4340 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
holding register / medicine book
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:19 pm »
I'm using the DEFRA spreadsheet holding register for my flock of sheep - and I can't find where to record births.
Section 3 says 'Date of Identification and Births' but the page is set out to record tagging details really, there is only is one column space to record a date - that of tagging. So if I don't tag until 9 months does that mean I don't have to record the births anywhere else until that time?

Similar question on the medicine book records: the columns on the template ask for date and details of purchase & administration of any meds - on the holding. So what about recording medicines administered by the vet, either by the vet visiting the farm or at the vet's office? Presumably the medicine record is there to ensure withdrawal times etc are observed correctly, so would it not be necessary to cross reference anything administered by a vet to be complete? Or do I have to also include what the vet may have administered (but then vets do not seem to be supplying enough details to complete the form).

Neither does quite make sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: holding register / medicine book
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:11 pm »
I asked the vets to do a print out of all treatments, and I've put that in the book x

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:27 am »
yes medicines administered or supplied by your vet should be entered in the medicine book.  Either ask for it to be completed at the time or most practices supply all the batch numbers etc on the invoice.  In theory this should be given at the time using eg a duplicate book but invariably its pouring with rain, the pen doesn't work etc etc.  I usually text it to the client while on farm for them to enter that day and send it out on the invoice at the end of the month.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:06:53 am »
I just keep the piece of paper the vet gives me, on the basis that the need to trace is either to ensure the animal is outside vetmed withdrawal periods when it goes to slaughter or because there's a faulty batch of etmed out there.  You could create a whole new (and very time consuming and boring) job for yourself otherwise.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:11:22 am »
Thank you all for the replies.
I guess I should chase up my vets on that then! (they administered meds to my animals for the first time recently so I wasn't sure about the correct procedure - they didn't mention anything at all).

Any advice anyone on how to enter births correctly on the holding register?
Thank you in advance.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:20:41 am »
I don't know what the spreadsheet looks like, but it sounds a pain!  We tag at birth now so avoids the problem, but I used to use spreadsheets I had made based on the paper books you could get from the Scottish Government, where births would be recorded on the holding register, and then there was a separate 'ecord of first identification' sheet for tagging.  Doesn't really help you, though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:42:50 am »
You can download the government guide from this page.

But the official records record the date of identification, so no they do not have somewhere for you to record an unidentified animal. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 09:55:43 am »
Thanks, I've read the guidance, which is all about tagging really.
It just confuses me that the rules & templates all record tagging only (the DEFRA spreadsheet is the same format as their book type registers, the pages appear to be the same)
If I have a lamb born in May and tag it at the required latest age of 9 months it could in theory go unrecorded in the inventory of 1st January  ???
I suppose rules are not there to make sense.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:10:22 am »
No you would carry them over I do believe  into the same count as adult ewes when it comes to the January inventory.    Regardless of technical age.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:12:52 am »
The record is a record of identified animals. 

If you want to keep records of unidentified animals you can keep your own records separately.

The 1st Dec inventory is a head count not a tag count.  And could and does include untagged, therefore "unidentified", animals.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »
Thanks Sally, this makes sense to me now  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS