Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Billy no Mates' for fleas and ticks  (Read 4114 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
'Billy no Mates' for fleas and ticks
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:45:57 pm »
Just following on from something which popped up in another post by Doganjo.
Does anyone use  'Billy no Mates' as a preventative for fleas and ticks? If so, does it appear to have been successful?
I have recently used Frontline with no success at all. Still get at least one tick on each spaniel every day. Aside from whether these chemical products are successful or not, I am reluctant to use these strong chemicals on the beasties every 4 weeks.
I would be intrigued to hear what success others have had with more natural products.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: 'Billy no Mates' for fleas and ticks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »
I'd like to know too - I have put Advantix on mine but it didn't last much more than the month last time and I'm not keen on putting this on them every month.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:17:52 pm »
Most of the spot ons will only last one month, and they do tend only to kill ticks, so you can find they still attach.
There are newer products available, I use Seresto collars, which work in a similar way to the spot ons, where the active ingredients absorb into the oils of the coat by direct contact, which means the collar must be fitted snugly but can last 8 months, and can reduce the numbers that attach dramatically.
Also, it is non toxic to cats, so much safer than the dog permethrin products that can kill cats when used inappropriately.
There are also tablets available, but these again don't stop the ticks until theyve attached.
With all the ticks and associated diseases, I feel much happier having something to repel ticks, as ticks, lyme disease and louping ill are rife around me.
I have never seen an effective 'natural' remedy.

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:01 pm »
BNM works quite well on 3 of mine, and not so well on my hunting loving terrier. I back it up with frontline spot on every 6 weeks, which kills all the smaller ticks. All the drugs, spot ins or collars, works by killing the tick once it has attached itself. I give a teaspoon of cider apple vinegar each day which I find helps, but takes 6 weeks to get into the system.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:26:12 pm »
I have given up with chemicals. The Advantix did kill ticks and I haven't seen any on dogs for months now but it didn't touch the fleas. I then tried Frontline and that was another waste of money. The flea comb was the best buy but time consuming having to comb every day. I did chuck out my door mat and it has helped reduce the numbers. I have sprayed the house as well.

Also tried the zapper comb but not impressed. My son quite enjoyed watching the flea walk across the comb until it touched both teeth and fried!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS