Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chuck been gotten  (Read 2377 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Chuck been gotten
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:18 am »
When l let the girls out this morning l spotted a hole chewed in the chicken wire size of a dinner plate.
Went in chuck shed and found pile of feathers trailing to the pop hole. No sign of chuck, any ideas what would do  this ?
It will be back for sure  :-\  :chook:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Chuck been gotten
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:46 am »
Size of a dinner plate?

If it's regular Chicken wire, probably fox or maybe badger.

Nothing else would need a hole that big.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:19:43 am »
Any sign of animal hair around the damaged areas of wire? Just one hen gone or several?

A few years ago in an area I used to deer manage, there were reports of lambs being taken and chicken coops raided. Any chicken netting had some pretty serious damage done to it - far more than would be expected from a badger or fox, and there was talk of a 'big cat' being the culprit!

Turned out to be a Border Collie cross gone 'wild'. :o
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:34:50 am »
I know dogs can tear through chicken wire. Perhaps a fox can if desperate. My guess would be a badger though. Any footprints?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »
A fox can 100% tear through standard chicken wire, because it can get its teeth into the mesh and yank.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 01:18:43 pm »
Its stripped feathers off 2 and taken them one was  my beautiful little silkie boy , killed my little  pencil laced wyandotte that was sitting  :'( and left her, with head on.
Run has docks and grass so cant see any tracks. I will get up first light and see if anything appears.
With a large piece of 3x2 to give it a headache !  :rant:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »
I would suggest pine marten or Marder as they are known here.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:07 pm »
Look around the edge of the field/run for dips where a fox or badger could get through. If it's got a line of barbed wire running along the bottom of the sheep wire you'll see small tufts of black & white hair caught on the barbs if it's a badger. Foxes generally have plenty of rabbits and pheasants to catch at this time of year so more likely to be a badger - move slower and jump not at all.  Fox muck looks like dog muck except it has a pointed end. Badger muck is usually very sloppy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS