Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Irish Terrier needs new home - Yorkshire  (Read 3049 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Irish Terrier needs new home - Yorkshire
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:47 am »
Irish Terrier bitch needs a new home as not getting on with other dogs in the house.  5 Years old, healthy, fully vaccinated and will be spayed.  Great with children, lives in family home on smallholding with stock.  Doesn't like being on her own so suit someone at home much of day or someone who could take her to work.  Is out during day in kennels but is house dog.  Fully house trained.  Probably best as only dog but no problems with other dogs out and about.  Well trained - excellent recall.  Really hard decision to part with her.  Homes will be fully vetted and full references sought.  Really hard and sad decision - will be devasted when she goes so please only serious enquiries only. Is KC Reg but will not go with papers.  Donation to breed rescue will be required. PM in first instance

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Irish Terrier needs new home - Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:50:45 am »
That must be such a hard decision for you. I had a lovely rescued Irish Terrier some years back and she was such a sweetheart but also hated to be left alone. I hope you find a lovely home for her  :hug:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:35:43 pm »
Thank you. She is an absolute gem - ideal family dog - also keen on helping deter pests. So hard to let her go but needs must - she and my other terrier (age nearly 10) don't always see eye to eye so needs must.  Any home must be 5* . Has been brought up around kids and stock, but she is very agile and can jump so property will need to be secure - but she knows about and avoids electric fencing!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:02:25 pm »
I have two bitches that would kill each other (and have tried)  I keep a locked door in the kitchen, and they just don't get together. It can be managed, it's not difficult.  They are 13 and 10 and i love them both equally so neither will leave here except when they pass.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »
sympatheses for you as we have alot of bad moments with our 2 little dogs. good luck as she looks lovely.
(its been alot better since iv been studying cesar millans methods, if thats any help)

:hug:

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:25:10 am »
Thank you for the messages of support.

Doganjo - I always read with interests your posts and clearly you are an experienced dog owner with a great involvement in the world of dogs, however, so am I.  I am not going into my own personal circumstances and in an ideal world I would keep Orla - however, I know my household circumstances and it is becoming a liability now - one or both of the dogs is going to end up getting really badly hurt - indeed my oldest bitch who is nearly 10 was lucky not to have got blinded on Saturday .  I have made the difficult decision to rehome her - we have been managing this situation for over 2 years now and there is no practical solution as I have tried them all.  I cannot let my young children (1, 6)  live in a prison - we only have one door to the house and at the moment I keep it locked to keep the dogs apart but it is a fire risk for a start.  I do have kennels which the dogs go in during the day when I am at work but they are pets - not outside dogs and should be and deserve to be in the house free from stress.

I love Orla, as I love the other 3 of my dogs - it is for that reason I want to see her go to a home where there is not the threat / or the stress for her.  Fortunately my friend, who is her breeder, is going to have her back for a trial period.  If anyone reads this and thinks they can offer a home then please PM me. But please don't add your two pennyworth to what has been a heart-breaking, difficult decision.  I posted on here with the hope of finding a loving home to what is an absolute gem of a dog.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:34:39 am by cuckoo »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:36:13 am »
I understand your situation and I would do the same in those circumstances. I am on my own, no children, and the only time I have to be vigilant is when i have visitors or my grandchildren to stay.  I was merely pointing out that rehoming is not always necessary. 

I do hope you find another home for her but it will have to be one where there are no other bitches or they are extremely laid back.  My two girls are now wary of other bitches.  It all started with one of them being in season and my dog being able to open doors!  :'( 
Good luck.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:53:11 am »
Thank you, Orla's breeder has her mum and daughter and uncle but she is also very experienced with ITs. We are going to give it a go as neither of us want her to go to strangers.  All her other dogs are very laid back - as are mine with other dogs(!) but a lot of the problem is the learned behaviours which come along with this situation.  Orla will be spayed soon so should help.  It also doesn't help that one of my dogs can open doors - hence having to keep the backdoor locked - also Orla has been known to jump into and out of open windows! I need to have about 10 pairs of eyes LOL

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 12:53:52 pm »
I'm afraid spaying didn't help with mine.  One was already spayed when the first fight occurred. the other was done three months after her season ended, and they got together when a  neighbour left my side gate open - another fight that put me in hospital trying to separate them..  What is it with these clever dogs that can open door - PITA! :innocent:

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:45 am »
Orla went to a new home on Sunday with a 10 year old airdale male - no probs reported. Lovely family. Miss  her loads but fingers crossed it works out. 

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:34 am »
That's great news  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 05:03:18 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS