Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: veg gardening in the shade  (Read 3617 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
veg gardening in the shade
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:59:39 pm »
ok, im still planning the new veg plot for next year... part of the patch is heavily shaded by a large tree (sycamore) part of this area is where my little shed is going but theres still a good patch here i can grow in...

any suggestions of veggies that will grow in a shady area or is this bit of the patch wasted?

thanks

bloomer

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: veg gardening in the shade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »

I think there's quite a few veggies which grow in shadier areas, but the first thing is to site your compost bins there - perfect
Salady stuff like lettuce quite likes a bit of shade, but maybe not too deep.  I think rhubarb might do ok as well. Squashes and courgettes don't need full sun all day - you will need to see whether your shady patch gets any sun at any point in the day, and for how long.  Some things which would hate it would be any alliums, tomatoes, chillis, all of which need hot sunshine to thrive.

A couple of things to remember is that it will be very dry under the tree, and that the tree will outcompete your veg for nutrients.
If you find that nothing much grows there, why not plant it up with wild flowers for the bees.  In fact, site your hives there.

I'm sure someone else will have a full list of what will thrive in shade  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:02:54 pm »
I'd agree with Fleecewife about 'sun thirsty' things like tomatoes etc. not being happy (unless you particularly like green tomato chutney!), but I'd say give things a try; you've got nothing to loose by trying and it will be informative. Our old neighbour had a patch that was completely shaded by huge oaks (literally right next to the patch) on one side, the house on the other and massive rhododendrons on the 'sunny side', however, her veg used to completely out perform our sunny, more open side despite what you would think by a visual comparison of the two sites. She was in her 80s so it's not as if she worked it as much as we did either! Consider the aspect - what side is the tree on, where does the wind come from, does it get any sun at any point? You might find that it has benefits you hadn't thought of.

We have a sycamore overhanging our new veggie patch (on the east-ish side), but I find it gives the plot that bit extra shade that actually means the veg is far happier for it than it would have been otherwise what with this hot spell we've been having (it doesn't get the sun till around the middle of the day). I've got cabbages, beans (runner, French and broad), celery and lettuce on that part of the plot and they are thriving.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:57:55 pm »
All of my garden is at least partially shaded; what's the biggest problem with the bit under a tree is the lack of water. The rest seems to be managing ok; lettuce definitely does better out of the sun.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:17:08 pm »
Thanks all I can fix the lack of water as I have a complete drip irrigation system waiting to be installed, so I'll give some of those suggestions a try!!!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 08:55:53 pm »
..for an outrageous idea: depends on shape of plot, walls etc ..but mirror foils might be used to illuminate that area?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:10:35 pm »
be prepared for the roots unless you are doing a raised bed. we also have a shaded veg patch. currants etc didnt thrive but most things did ok.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:03 pm »
until i dig it this autumn i wont decide whether to put a raised bed in...

the main beds are very good, currently overgrown with weeds and will need some manure digging in this winter to make up for whatever the weeds have stolen out of the ground...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS