Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you advertise your growers/POL?  (Read 2573 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
How do you advertise your growers/POL?
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:09:00 am »
I've had my first batch up on Preloved for over two weeks and no joy at selling yet (lots of views but no contact). I've a slight disadvantage in being quite as far South East as we are but I think I'm OK on the money - maybe a tad high because I've priced them as POL when they're still a couple of weeks off but it's a fairly standard price for the chickens I've bought so far. So I wonder whether I need a wider audience. Any suggestions? Am wondering about putting a few into auction because I definitely need to clear some stock but are there any alternatives?

Thanks!

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
Re: How do you advertise your growers/POL?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:42:07 am »
My son has sorted out my website for me (still needs pictures added but does its job). He has also put us on alsorts of poultry listings which has mad a big difference to our sales.

pm me for more details and I will ask him to give you suggestions.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:00:02 am »
DO you have any local agri shops or feed merchants that you can put a note up on their noticeboards? hat seems to be the best way of doing business round here. Every shop seems to have a notice board.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:37:33 am »
Local animal Facebook page. I know I really wouldn't want to travel miles for hens.

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21:52 am »
I wouldn't use preloved. It won't give the contact details of the advertiser for free until the advert is over 10 days old, before which it wants you to pay £5 to become a member, which must put people off. I certainly did me whilst i was looking for POL bantams a short while ago.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 11:12:53 pm »
I didn't realise you had to pay on Preloved - ad is over 10 days old now anyway. I'll have a look on FB for local pages and try those and thanks to harefarm have a lovely long list of other places to try  :thumbsup:. I've travelled all over for stock  - went to Devon for geese and Berkshire for chickens - but no idea whether that's 'normal'.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:28 am »
went to Devon for geese and Berkshire for chickens - but no idea whether that's 'normal'.

I've travelled a fair bit for stock as well, perfectly normal for good stock IMO.

It depends on what breed etc as to how far people will travel. Some people think hens are just hens and can't/won't distinguish between good, bad and indifferent breeders. We've got lots of FB pages for poultry locally as well as a breed club page and they are great for selling. Mind you, I did get into a row because someone suggest £1 per hatching egg was daylight robbery lol.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS