Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 2974 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
What do you think?
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:38:11 pm »
http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.uk/Poultry-Houses/Chickenshack-Chicken-House-RS709-Small

What are peoples thoughts on this hen run,

Considering getting Gran a couple of Hens for her garden for her christmas (Stop her nabbing our eggs).

Not keen on the idea of buying of the internet, so any advice taken.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:02:15 pm by CameronS »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: What do youe think?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:50:51 pm »
small

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:03:28 pm »
Yes, quite small, but looks attractive and fairly secure (might want to modify it abit to make it stronger)
Depends really on how much space your gran has, and how many chickens you're thinking of?

What a lovely thought - will you have to help look after them?!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »
Yes, I was going to ask that - doesn't look very Gran-cleaning friendly to me.  I'd prefer a full height shed and plastic flooring that's easy to clean out.  These things always look pretty till you have had a few chickens in them then they look the same as any other hen coop.  Their offer price is £149, I got my shed from Focus for £100 and a few bits of chicken wire and wood for a few pounds would build you a much bigger run than they have in that one. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:32:46 pm »
I think we are thinking of 2 POL hens a maximum of 3, maybe slightly fancier birds instead of the warrens or the ISA browns,

My preferred choice of housing would be a shed and a mesh run like ours, but she is limited for space, they would be in a reasonable sized back garden on the outskirts of Cellardyke, so for this reason we are looking for something that looks a bit nicer than the standard shed and more enclosed, not that the birds would be in it 24/7.
The only real specification we have is a on the side nest box and an enclosed joining run.

Are there any other sites i could try?

Thanks for the responses
Cameron

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:43:04 pm by CameronS »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »
This one looks similar, Cameron, but a wee bit cheaper - says 4 to 5 birds. http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch101.htm
and this might be the same one again - Ebay with a buy it now price - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cat-Poultry-Hen-Chicken-House-Coop-Rabbit-Hutch-WT47AT_W0QQitemZ320439611267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item4a9bb06f83
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
they all look like they are made by the same people. still very small for 4-5 birds. what about quail instead

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:21:52 pm »
It looks very much like one that POmona has - *looks around to find her!*
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 07:31:28 pm »
Talk of the devil  :D

Aye, that's the one I've got, and it's great, I'm really pleased with it.  Easy to clean and so on.  I've got three Black Rocks and to be honest, the coop itself(the roost area) is a grand size for the three of them, but I wouldn't be inclined to increase the number as it'd be too tight a fit.  The run itself is too small for hens to potter around in, and I've only kept my three in there when I've had to clean out the rest of their run and need them away from my feet etc, but it's too small to keep them in there permanently.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:47 pm »
I've got one of these and keep my dutch bantams in it. It is perfect for them. They are small and friendly and love hopping up and down the ramp. The wooden boards/walls are quite thin but the shed is easy to clean out with the lid of the nest box lifting up and the side door opening.
I am happy with it but think it is the right size for a trio of bantams.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS