Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ive got my first 6 little piggies at last  (Read 4794 times)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
Ive got my first 6 little piggies at last
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:48:34 am »
Hi all just an update,
I picked up my pigs yeaterday, they are fine, lots of screaming when they were being caught by the vendors and we also had an audience being part of a larg riding school lots of kids about,
once loaded hardly a peep out of them ( except breaking wind lol )
they had to spend the night in our garage we made a makeshift pen with the straw bales and used a large plastic kennel for the house, they ate wll and even took food from our hands after a little coaxing,
I must say we made a better job of unloading them ( quieter ) than when they were loaded,
could have been a calmer atmousphere as well but when the vendors coaught them they scruffed thier necks, we just lifted them like you would a small dog, only a little grunt was hears bless them all
anyway the names we picked had to be changed as the boys were girls and vice versabut they are now
small ginger male....Granville
Medium ginger male.... pumpkin
small black female..... black betty
large tri colour male..... cuthbert
2 small tri coloured females......we think females....are gertrude and ingrid
more soon plus photos when i find out how to add them .....I found out pictures attached
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Ive got my first 6 little piggies at last
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:51:29 am »
Hope all goes well with them, they certainly look happy enough.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:45:41 am »
They're so cute - I love kune kunes  ;D
I'm still trying to save up so I can get some, but with 3 kids eating me out of house and home it's going to take a wee while  :(

Are you keeping them as pets or are they for the freezer ?  :o

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:39:57 pm »
Oh my word, don't mention the freezer they might hear us,
they are pets, I may breed from one next year cos there no one round here got any Kune Kune's that ive heard of anyhow,
they are adorable

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:33 pm »
They're lovely!
Are the males entire, with all their bits? How are you going to house them, when they're bigger?
Our boar shares with the goats, and is starting to 'show an interest!' Another 6 weeks or so til his 'honeymoon'....
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:25:50 pm »
Baby piglets are gorgeous, then they get to the "teenage years" when they become little monsters.  I am always relieved when the new owners take them, much as I love them all. 

Not that those that stay behind are not loved, they are right up until the moment they go into the freezer, when I love them even more.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:54:43 pm »
What is teenage pig behaviour like, Hilarysmum?
kirsty

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:31:37 pm »
Hi, the males are entire little blue,
 were going to put 2 plots on our 2.5 acre land and rotate the plots round so they always have a fairly clean area, then if we don't castrate them we may breed not too sure just yet but as i work for a vet there's no problem getting them done, ive actually ended up with more boys than i wanted, but it will be too hard to sell them or even swap them as were already totally smitten with them, more pictures soon

Pigginshelly

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Pinwall Atherstone
    • RED LION PINWALL
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:51:40 pm »
Congratulations! We have had our two girls now for two weeks, and they are great. So lovable! Wow, six. Enjoy them!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:00:22 am »
Teenage piglet(s) exactly the same as teenage boys.  Make a mess, never stay where you want them, sleep all day then want to party all night.  Knock over the bins and redistribute the contents for fun  ........  and if I can post the photo ....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:07:32 am by Hilarysmum »

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 08:09:56 am »
 :pig:our 3 british lop boys are running riot at the moment must be somthing in the air they ony have 2 more weeks and its holiday time i must say they have been extra naughty compared to the 3 osb boys that went on holiday last week they were good boys to the end. so it may be a breed thing or the lops have naughty boy syndrome :pig:the last two batches of lops were not so naughty.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
Do they want to stay on the computer playing inappropriatly violent games for hours too? ;D ;D
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:42 am »
One of mine turns the computer off!  Not really teenage behaviour, unless its the I WANT IT NOW type of attention seeking. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS