Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boys ....again  (Read 4617 times)

AnnaB

• Joined Aug 2012
Boys ....again
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:25:32 pm »
Just hatched 3 more eggs .....rubbish result because I put 11 in the incubator, (5 didn't start, 1 must have died mid way because it went with a bang when I threw it out, and 2 almost ready to hatch but dead).  Dorkings and I've now learnt to sex them with the head colour.  So 1 girl and 2 boys.

Over 3 years out of 25 eggs hatched we have 3 girls and 22 boys. :chook:

How long must I wait before the law of averages sends more girls ??  :rant:

So I'm collecting more eggs ..... :fc:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Boys ....again
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:39:32 pm »
I've hatched out 15 eggs and had 12 males this year. I've still got a hatch of 8 chicks and 10 ducklings that I'm still left to sex... but my ratios have gone to pot too!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:18:12 pm »
Hatched 5 - 2 boys/3 girls... I think we got lucky.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:28 pm »
I hatched 8 out of 9 eggs under a broody, 3 males 5 females!  :thumbsup:perhaps it's just luck?? 
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:51:16 pm »
Hatched 6 Hamburg's, 5 males, 1 female  >:(  Reserving judgement on the 3 barnvelders, but they are either 3 males or 2 males & 1 female.

Beth

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:47:33 pm »
OMG! There are some awful stats there! Gold Laced Orps have been great - majority girls and I've hatched 3 ganders to 6 geese which I'm very happy with. However, the ducks and buff orps have gone the other way with a vast majority of drakes/cockerels. Dinner is calling once they're a bit fatter.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:19 am »
Just hatched 3 more eggs .....rubbish result because I put 11 in the incubator, (5 didn't start, 1 must have died mid way because it went with a bang when I threw it out, and 2 almost ready to hatch but dead).  Dorkings and I've now learnt to sex them with the head colour.  So 1 girl and 2 boys.

Over 3 years out of 25 eggs hatched we have 3 girls and 22 boys. :chook:

How long must I wait before the law of averages sends more girls ??  :rant:

So I'm collecting more eggs ..... :fc:

How old are your breeding stock? We have hatched 20 chicks from 24 eggs this year :thumbsup:, but turns out 15 are boys >:(, BUT my parent stock was 3 years old (the females no the male)... thought maybe that was the problem in my case. Will not be able to repeat the matings either, as stoat has been to visit...

AnnaB

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »
Not sure how old my girls are.  Think 1 is at least 4 years old.  The other 2 I got along with the cockerel from Victoria Roberts 18 moths ago, didn't ask how old they were ......!
Hence why I want some new girls.
The old ones are still laying quite well, getting eggs at least alternate days from them at the moment, winter was a bit long tho' they didn't lay for what felt like months.  Waitrose was laying our eggs then.
I did wonder if age might have something to do with it .......but not sure.
Anyone got Dorking eggs for sale ?
Whilst we have a lot of space we don't have pens to keep 2 lots of hens and the cockerels apart so if I get different chicks I'll have mongrels again ....tho' maybe thats not a problem.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »
Hi Anna. SIlver Grey Dorkings? Lovely aren't they  :excited:
I have just had a hatch of 4 girls 2 boys. The next lot are due to hatch next Tuesday- exciting :-)
Where abouts are you?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:58 pm »
Personally I am happy either way. Boys = chicken pie, girls = eggs. Either way they are a good source of protein  :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »
I read a report (can't remember where) about a study that indicated that the age of the cockerel could have an influence.  First year or two produces majority of females then switches to males (potential mates then potential replacements - makes sense from a biological viewpoint, I guess).  We tend to average 60-70% females but never keep a cockerel after its second winter.

AnnaB

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 07:27:00 pm »
Yes Silver Grey Dorkings they are lovely.  Our cockerel is very handsome and well mannered, even lets me pick him up.  Had a Silkie cockerel a few years ago I couldn't turn my back on, despite a few complementary flying lessons  :-J
Why do you not keep cockerels after a second winter ?
Yes protein I guess but as a somewhat lapsed vegetarian I get no pleasure from eating chickens, tho I will give last years boys their due ....even I ate some coq au vin and they were good.  And I know they have had a lovely life roaming free range here, scratching at my plants and c.....ing on the garden dining chairs whilst they look in the kitchen window !  But the whole killing process is not nice.  And the Dorking cockerels are very big ....OK I know that means more protein ....but also harder to kill.
I'm debating whether to top the little ones now whilst its easy, only not doing it because that would leave 2 girls of different ages and not sure they would make friends.
Good job I have a day job  :relief:
Northumberland not far from Newcastle.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »
I could take your boys for you as I need an unrelated cockerel. I'm having to buy in eggs at the moment and it is going to be an issue remembering who is related to who! An unrelated boy would be great. I am in North Yorkshire (Helmsley-ish) and could meet you half way?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:20 pm »
Ive got two chicks from under a broody that ended up sitting on a mountain of eggs  They were the first and only ones to make it (the others were thrown after 4/5 days with no more hatches they were mostly duds!) I have a horrid feeling that both of them, are boys young cock too !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS