Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody on Chick Crumb  (Read 2596 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Broody on Chick Crumb
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »
Hi everyone
Our broody hen hatched 3 chicks nearly a month ago.  Although 2 of them were several days premature, they are all doing well but still very small.  They're all obviously still on chick crumb and to boost them a little, I'm giving them chopped meal worms and a little hard boiled egg.  The trouble is that Mum is looking a bit peaky and is still having to eat the chick crumb herself.  She is such a brilliant Mum that I really don't want to separate her from them and put her in the main run with all of the other hens.  What happens when they go on to growers?  Can she have these?  Her poor little face has gone quite a dark colour and she looks a bit odd at the moment.  What would you do?
Thanks a lot x :thinking:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Broody on Chick Crumb
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:38:40 pm »
both my broodys did fine on chick crumb for a few weeks, then when the chicks went on to growers mum ate those quite happily.

hasn't affected their egg laying both back laying after less than 6 weeks from hatching!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »
Problem is that if you try to give her some layers, she'll feed it to the chicks.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:09 pm »
...Yes... this is what I'm worried about.  She shares everything with them!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:03:22 am »
Chick crumb should be fine for her anyway - I presume she's not laying again yet? So it's high on protein which is what she needs to build up again herself. I've not given my broodies anything different until they're ready to leave the chicks and return to adult food/laying. I wonder whether she's got something else going on? Have you checked her over for lice and mites? Any chance they've built up while she's been sitting?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 08:36:04 am »
As said, she should be fine on chick crumb which should build her back up. Feeding young chicks layers pellets may be fatal because of the high Calcium levels. They are too young for rearers, which they shouldn't switch to until 6-8 weeks.

Darkening of her face may be an early sign of a heart condition Bumpkins. Clearly something isn't right. She will be working hard to raise her body temperature to keep the chicks warm and it takes a lot out of them. You may need to separate them early and give the chicks some heat and best to have that setup ready.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:45:46 pm »
Thank you for all of your replies - I hadn't thought of a heart condition!  I'm going to bear that in mind and see what I can do next to take the strain off her.  The chicks are exceptionally small but quite healthy.  Small chicks will need extra warming up though and this could be what the problem is!  Thank you all again.x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS