Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Asparagus ...  (Read 2234 times)

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
Asparagus ...
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:00:45 pm »
I planted some one-year old crowns this year. About half showed signs of growth, with one or two spears emerging to various heights. I left them, of course.

Just wondering if the crowns are just slow to start, and that I will get more next year, or does the no show mean that they're dead?

Grateful for help. Thanks.

philip

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Asparagus ...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:23:54 pm »
Slugs can be an absolute nightmare with asparagus eating it as soon as it comes through especially when the crowns are younge and weak. Not saying it is that bu just a thought.  When mine was in the poly tunnel I would put a good heaping ring of bran round them which works as long as it doesn't get wet.  Make sure there is plenty of moisture at the roots though as they need a lot as growth is so rapid.  Growing asparagus is a labour of love, and watch out for those horrid little asparagus fly things

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:47:22 pm »
I think if you've got no shoots, they won't appear next year. I planted mine last year and I think all came through (didn't count but the rows looked crowded). After the wet winter I was expecting to have lost a lot but most came back this year. The crows nipped off the top of a lot though so I'm hoping they haven't weakened them much - I believe I might be able to eat a few next year. Reminds me, I must weed them!

happyharry

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »
Have had the same problem. Established a bed about 20 years ago without any problems. Three years ago I decided that I needed to establish a new bed as the original one was running out of steam. First year, 7 out of 20 crowns survived so I replaced the ones that didn't make it. Following year and further 8 appeared so that meant I still needed to plant a further 5 crowns this spring and only 3 of those flourished.
Most frustrating, especially after the planting 20 years ago went without problem.
Slugs ? Yes, maybe. Poor quality crowns ? Don't think so as I bought from different sources each year
Wet spring ? - maybe. The short answer is "I don't know".
All I can say is persevere. That point every spring when the purple sprouting is going over and the asparagus appears is well worth the effort

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS