Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sitting hen  (Read 2128 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Sitting hen
« on: October 31, 2009, 09:22:35 am »
When the chooks were let out this morning we noticed we were 1 short. So, when the goats were fed the missing hen was discovered sitting on a nest in beside the goats. I have never had this before as I have always used an incubator and it has always been ducks I have hatched. I know leaving her alone is probably the best thing to do but any advice would be appreciated. I realise it may come to nothing but time will tell.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Sitting hen
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 01:41:48 pm »
Every brood we have had has been from a broody hen, She should do fine if you allow her to hatch, only thing to make sure is that all the eggs are covered properly and that none have cracks, also if you allow her to hatch don't look under her at all in the last week and then for about 2 days after you suspect they have hatched.
don't bother moveing her off for food water etc she knows better than anyhuman,
If however you don't want her to hatch,i would suggest ducking her under carriage in a bucket of cold water, of sitting her somewhere where air can flow freely around her, etc a dog cage mounted at the corners on bricks,

Happy Hatching (or not)
Cameron

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:30:23 pm »
Went out tonight and the eggs have vanished, no idea what happened.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:47 pm »
Rats
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:57:37 am »
 :chook:i had the same problem a few years back thought it was rats set the live trap and caught a stoat the problem with that is you to make sure you get the stoats as when the eggs get short they start on the chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS