Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Separation anxiety  (Read 2299 times)

alicegriffiths83

• Joined May 2014
Separation anxiety
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:47:28 pm »

Moved goats to new gorgeous enormous pasture today and my girl Jenny went mad when I left and jumped the gate. I took then back to previous grazing and heading back tomorrow to add additional fencing to make more secure. Reality is though she's an escape artist so worry she will get out again.she hates not having human company and follows me everywhere. She's 8 months old and lives with her sister so us happy with company. Any ideas? Tempted to boost up the herd numbers but I'm panicking over getting more escape artists! Would sheep make company? Any tips? thanks in advance

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Separation anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:34 pm »
I had a pet lamb which was a little like that. In the end I secured wherever he was getting out and put him with 2 other pet lambs, he seems to have settled down now. I think maybe a sheep or even an older goat could be good company for her. :trophy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:51 pm »
What breed are they? Try electric Hotwire round top, that should put her off. My boer x never try and escape so maybe get another of a more docile breed?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:23 am »
You say it's 'enormous', I'd be tempted to cordon them off into a smaller section perhaps with a shelter even if makeshift (straw bales with a bit of a secured roof so it doesn't fall on them if a breeze gets up).  Make a cosy 'home' area they can relate too with some good company for her, food, hay and water, a lick, Christmas tree, slippers etc.  She might begin to like it. Who wouldn't come to think  ;)

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

alicegriffiths83

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
Thank you! Have been up to land today and sorted gate issue. Also getting two more to add to the herd this weekend. I have filled the area with fun things to do. They love playing on pallets etc and have a cosy place to go to and rest. Fingers crossed she takes to it. I'm having a worry and panic about it all!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 06:39:27 pm »
Lots of nice browsing vegetation to keep them going and my girls go totally mental for dried apricots, if they have full tummies they'll be less likely to jump.   :thumbsup:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

alicegriffiths83

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 07:52:11 am »
Well survived 8 hours of no jumping. Made gate unjumpable and been distracting when I leave with grain. Visiting every few hours so she doesn't feel neglected. Phonecall at 6pm saying she's in someone's kitchen and although they don't mind they would like dinner! Back to the drawing board! Any suggestions? She's currently clearing 5ft on nearby houses secure fencing. I cannot change that so will have to section off area. She's a pain in the bottom this one but I do love her so :/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:23:02 am »
Once they know how to get out they will ALWAYS find a way... sorry. Especially if she is used to having you with them a lot, she'll continue to come and find you (or some other human).

Electric top wire (also over the gate) maybe will be helpful, but it has to be mains and ALWAYS on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS