Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed killer that's safe for livestock?  (Read 3205 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Weed killer that's safe for livestock?
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:59 pm »
My land this year has been taken over by thisels like a good 2/3 off it covered! I need to get a week killer that is safe for animals to still be on while it works?

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Weed killer that's safe for livestock?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »
Hi
Can you not just cut the thistles - grass cutter on back of tractor.  How much land do you have.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »
If you keep cutting weeds they give up eventually, and grass can take over, but it's a long haul!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:46:19 pm »
There is about 4 acres off thisels out off 6......

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »
There are things like thistlex (I think) and other sprays that you can use. Many people say they are harmless to anything else but I wouldn't be putting them on my land. Just my personal opinion. The 'organic' route is tougher and needs perseverance. You should wait until July when the plant has put all it's energy into producing the leaves and flowers and then top or strim before it goes to seed. This is when you can inflict maximum damage on the plant and many will die, especially if repeated year after year. Some say it's because the plant has no energy left to recover, others because the stems are hollow and fill up with water and rot. Either way, it seems to work.

I know how you feel. A field we have just taken on has been neglected for years and has a big thistle problem so I'm looking forward to a few sessions with the brush cutter next month as it's very steep. Quite satisfying work really.

The chemical route is always quicker. Just depends how you feel on that whole scene I guess. To me, it's a no go. Working with nature and using animals and our own labour should be able to solve most problems. Grass will out compete most things if given enough rest periods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS