Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Log splitter  (Read 3465 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Log splitter
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a good log splitter 6 to 10 ton electric or petrol can anyone recommend a make that I should be looking at.

Cheers

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Log splitter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:28:01 pm »

If you don't NEED petrol for portability, definitely go electric. It's just so much quieter, and you won't get a headache from breathing in the fumes all day.

I've used both this 14 ton petrol splitter:

And it's 9 ton Electric brother.

The 9 ton one had more than enough power for anything we could throw at it - just sometimes you needed to nibble round the edges of big rounds first, whereas with a bigger machine you could split them in two right from the start. Overall though, the electric one was just so much nicer to use, it would definitely be my preferred choice. Both ran at a good speed (with fast and slow modes), and were really solidly made.

Hope that helps!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »
Hi,

Cheers for the info I will be looking to buy a log splitter over the next few weeks.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:59:02 pm »
We have a Clarke electric 8 tonne, upright, really pleased with it.... Except we had a capacitor blow which was a devil for us to get fixed... Did get it done under guarantee in the end. Could just be unlucky, or could be a weakness.... Buy off a local dealer would be my advice, if we had bought off internet, we would have been stuffed.  It was around £400 I think.  We split about 8 tonnes a year so it gets a fair hammering.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »
someone give me a clue here, in wood is a ton about a cubic metre/bulk bag when split or am i confused.

trying to work out how much wood we are going to use in new house and deciding if i need a splitter or i can do it with the maul...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
Mmmm good question, we have 8 tonne of timber delivered and I'd say it splits into about 10 or 12 cuM.... Just trying to visualise our drying shed.  We run 2 wood burning stoves, one running hot water and 5 or 6 rads daytim and evening and use LPG for an hour of has cenral heating in the morning SOS I don't have to keep a fire in all night or get up crack of dawn to re light.  Hope that helps.  Without the log splitter for the first winter, I was starting to get some pain in my shoulder..... This feels far more sustainable body wise :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS