Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stupid question probably but i keep geting conflicting views  (Read 5379 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: stupid question probably but i keep geting conflicting views
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 06:29:45 am »
If you want to be in control of your breeding you will need to keep the billy (and his castrated friend) away from the girls at all times, and only introduce the females when they come into season AND it suits your breeding programme (meaning letting female kids grow as much as possible before their first mating for example).

It adds to the cost of keeping goats but will reduce your vet bills as it means you know who kids when and you can prepare yourself and your females for it, and no unwanted kids from unsuitable matings for example.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:19 am »
If you are stuck for space let the boys run out at night and the girls during the day

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 12:58:29 pm »
If you are stuck for space let the boys run out at night and the girls during the day

That's what I do and it works fine.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »
I have a pygmy male and female who have lived together all their lives.  If the male is separated from her, he wrecks everything in his path until he gets to her.  The only time they are separate is when she kids, and they are in adjoining pens for a few days - and then he uses his large horns to batter the gate down.

The female usually kids Christmas week (twins). For the last few years she has only kidded once, but we did have Christmas kids, and then more in late Summer!!

Once my larger females have kidded, I let the AN male run with them for a few weeks,but  once he starts showing an interest in them (which is now) he is removed, and he goes out at night.  He has now taken an interest in his fat castrated pygmy x friend instead!!

I have a small female pygmy and she is already in season through the summer.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 08:29:46 pm »
so am I right in thinking that its better to wait until the doe is at least a year and a bit old to breed? as I go on a facebook site for pygmies and a lot of the American breeders seem to let there does mate in their first autumn but I thought this was frowned upon.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:34 am »
I don't know about pygmies, but dairy goats are not fully grown in their first autumn so it isn't a good idea to get them in kid then. Their second autumn is far fairer to them.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 11:39:37 am »
I certainly wouldn't breed a pygmy in it's first autumn - they are way too small a 100 x's better to wait till they are 18 months.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 12:59:22 pm »
Pygmies have enough problems getting their kids out without being underdeveloped at the same time (you'd need an even smaller shoe horn  :innocent: )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS