Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A shape chicken coop?  (Read 3158 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
A shape chicken coop?
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:07 pm »
Heya guys.
I was wondering can you buy any A shape chicken coops, flatpacked, anywhere?
and if so how much do they cost? ???
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:31:49 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: A shape chicken coop?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:29:54 pm »
As in Arks? Why do you want them flatpacked? Jim Vyse does loads of different Arks http://www.jimvysearks.co.uk/) but I imagine they come assembled and I'm sure are at the top end of the market. I've just had a quick google and saw one on Amazon which no doubt would be delivered flat pack. When it comes to cost, you get what you pay for and it really depends how big it is, the quality of the wood, whether it's hand made etc. etc.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »
Thanks. I was wondering what would be better value, build one yourself or buy one? :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »
build one yourself unless you have alot of ££££ for a nice one :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »
Almost always to build it yourself, iin my experience.  Don't personally like ark-shaped ones - chickes can't get into the space along the side edges so it's wasted.  Make my pown pent-roof ones from external ply with a flap for access to eggs and an opening roof (Onduline on a hinged frame).  I do the cutting one day, creosote the next, leave for a week then assemble - still takes less man hours overall than some of the kits we've tried in the past!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:21:27 pm »
are you wanting a broody ark? or something bigger? I picked up a nice broody ark from Northumberland Joinery for £100 and a duck house for a bit more-they are both really nice quality, better than the chinese rubbish for a similar price. I have just built an A frame run for growers but will be putting a pent roofed house in it that I've build from a box pallet as I've found someone local(ish) who has a store of them.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:40:24 pm »
are you wanting a broody ark? or something bigger? I picked up a nice broody ark from Northumberland Joinery for £100 and a duck house for a bit more-they are both really nice quality, better than the chinese rubbish for a similar price. I have just built an A frame run for growers but will be putting a pent roofed house in it that I've build from a box pallet as I've found someone local(ish) who has a store of them.
I was thinking about building, or buying, a broody ark, as next year, hopefully, I'll be buying a cockerel and hope to breed from the faverolles. I have also thought about maybe hatching as well, because one of the buff sussex keeps going broody.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:42:00 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:08:01 am »
I hate the Arks where they sit above and come down a ramp into the run below. For a broody a simpler style is just a box at one end with run attached. My dad once made a similar thing for our guinea pigs from an old bed which worked really well - frame of bed provided structure, he just enclosed one end and chicken wired the rest.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:53:07 am »
If you are going to spend time making a wooden coop I would advise spending a bit more time and thought and making it flatpack. Not only does it mean it can be more easily moved, but it can be fully disassembled and the panels turned upside down for creosoting to remove red mite. The panels then dry faster as well.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:31 pm »
Get Michael Roberts books on building your own chicken coops. Very good designs although not the most comprehensive instructions but you get enough of a gist to be able to make one.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS