Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butter - Good, Cheese - Bad  (Read 5358 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Butter - Good, Cheese - Bad
« on: October 30, 2009, 09:16:08 am »
I had a go at making butter over the weekend.  (unfortunately) I bought 2 small cartons of double cream and got out the electric whisk.  Remembered what one of you guys said and put on the mixer paddles and not the whisk ones and mixed.  I got all excited when it started turning into butter.  All of a sudden you see a little milk at the bottom and then a bit more and ..... well lets just say I got excited.  The cat thought I had gone mad.  I also tried cheese.  Made the starter (packet starter) but is said to put it somewhere warm.  I don't have an airing cupboard, so I put it on top of my demijohn warmer.  Didn't work.  So I tipped it into my yoghurt maker.  It worked.  Then had to do the cheese.  Got it to the optimum temperature and once again, "leave in a warm place".  Back to the demijohn warmer.  BUT none of the books say how long you have to wait for it to turn into cheese.  Well, short story long, I was impatient and added more rennant to it as nothing was happening.  I ended up with a "cheese" but it was rubbery - I know- too much rennant.  So how long do you have to wait before it turns to cheese.  Overnight? An hour?  This is just a basic soft cheese.  By the way, I still ate it.  Put some garlic pepper with it.  It was OK but will have to get better. Ros  :cat: :chook:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Butter - Good, Cheese - Bad
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:58:18 pm »
definitely overnight, sometimes longer.
What sort of milk did you use?
I hang mine (goats milk/cheese) to drain from a kitchen cupboard door handle, I'd have thought the airing cupboard would be far too hot?
It really takes ages to make, pasturising, cooling, standing, draining, but is worth it in the end! (the cooling part is the worst for me, it takes ages and I hate to leave it in case I forget and it gets too cold - then would the starter still work?!)

Well done on the butter making, its not something I've tried (yet)
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:03:07 pm »
I've always liked the idea of making btter and cheese, but am totally intimidated by the idea of it!!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:15:22 pm »
so weird i can smell cheese now lol

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:20:03 pm »
The only yoghurt and cheese making I've done are a complete cheat.  I use Easio yoghurt.

http://www.easiyo.com/easiyoinformation/

If I want to make cheese I strain it over night to get a cream cheese to which I add garlic and herbs, roll into balls and then store in oil.

I need to be braver and do the real thing!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:37:44 pm by MiriMaran »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:44:13 pm »
Their internal instructions link isn't working but I've sussed what's wrong so if you want them click here -

http://www.easiyo.com/instructions/threeeasysteps/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 08:53:07 pm »
Oh thanks for that - it was probably my fault I'm not very techno minded!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:06:11 pm »
No, it's a fault on their website
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »
Butter is very easy and simple to make, cheese not so! We leave our cheese for normally a whole day or so before it "turns". I've never made yogurt, but am tempted to try. I must make some butter, have some goats cream in the fridge waiting to be made.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:57:04 pm »
Beth, I have a yoghurt maker you can try if you like. It is electric and has 8 little pots that sit in a plastic square box thingy. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS