Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quail Question  (Read 2428 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Quail Question
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:01:49 am »
A few weeks ago I hatched some Quail. I wanted primarily hens for the eggs but bought the giant ones for trying a bit of meat too.

The question is how to deal with the imbalance of males to females.
Out of the remaining 9, I have 7 males!
They are just getting active and I wondered how best to separate them off.  I know that the male to female ratio is 1 male to 4-5 females (cant even achieve that!).

I also know that eventually the males will fight. They are too small to eat yet. 

Does this mean trying to separate 1 male with the 2 females and then keeping the other males separate? Thats a lot of individual cages?

I have some more eggs from a different source for hatching/ breeding to try to get a reasonable number of laying hens.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Quail Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 11:17:41 am »
im sure when we bred quails we had eaten the boys by 12 weeks old. i dont remember them fighting at all, and kept them in a big rabbit size hutch. id keep the boys together and the trio separate.
remember when sexing, the girls will also have "foam" if they have been mated recently.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:17:45 pm »
Thanks shygirl, 
I was thinking that if it were chickens then i would keep all the boys together because they seem to get on ok to start with.  I had read that quail boys fight more viciously.
The biggest boy gets the girls then.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:26:36 pm »
I have a feeling they fight more if they are in close proximity to hens, so if you can keep them well separated that might work  Good luck.  My single girl is obviously very lonely, I'm tempted to bring her inside and have her in a birdcage.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:38:55 pm »
Agree with Doganjo .... make a trio and keep other lads together but caged as far from the females as possible.

Doganjo - I have a book about quail by Katie Thear (I think that's her name) she kept her quail indoors in the winter, in the conservatory, in rabbit cages. She let them out for a run around and said they became quite tame!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »
I have a feeling they fight more if they are in close proximity to hens, so if you can keep them well separated that might work  Good luck.  My single girl is obviously very lonely, I'm tempted to bring her inside and have her in a birdcage.
I seem to have 2 males in with 5 females and 1 of them is getting beaten up so if anyone wants him? If not he will have to go.
Anne

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:50 pm »
Keep males together and well away from the females, feed them up to grow as quick as possible and eat them soon.  I seem to vaugly remember that if you restrict daylight it slows down their time maturity and will lessen the problem.

If they do start fighting it’s gets rather nasty as they go for the back of a the head like a mock mating (showing dominance) and go for each other’s eyes if they fight.  Once a couple of them start they will not stop until you stop them.  We used to kill the boys as soon as they started crowing, (so were sure they were boys) pluck and clean them and pop them in the freezer until we had  collected enough for a meal.

If you only want eggs and not to breed, eat all the boys, they are a pest to the girls too once their blood is up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS