Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected Accident  (Read 5974 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Unexpected Accident
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »
Maybe it would be worth considering buying a Texel tup lamb in the back end each year, using him then sending him off.  That way all your keeping tups would be horned and you wouldn't be mixing unhorned with horned tups.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 10:04:25 am »
i had asimilar thing with my pure suffolk tup. we have had a lot of "race wars" between the texels and the suffolks with the sufftex picking suffolks side, fortunatly the lleyn keeps out of it as hes a bit light compared to them. i have no idea why they killed the suffolk as hes been boss for a couple of years. bloody sheep find the worst andmost expensive ways to die  ::)
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 09:32:44 am »
My Llanwenog ram is boss of the field, he keeps all the Hampshires in line and gets pick of the feed trough and water butt, they all stand back for him! and he is only half their size.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:12 am »
So sorry for the loss of your ram - just horrid. I hate it after shearing when the ewes all fight and the lambs go crazy screaming for their mum who is actually standing next to them!!

I keep my tup's separate and was in the lucky position to sell my Castlemilk tup in December so no chance of fighting this year as the Shetland is clearly boss.

Think SITN has a good plan  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »
Really sorry to hear this. I also have racial wars here. My 2 black welsh beat my huge Suffolk to a pulp. He is a big cuddly bear and tries to run away but they chase him round the field. I thought they'd killed him a few months ago. I will have to split but struggling with space. The sooner I sell one of the blacks the better!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS