Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dr Evil & The Ugly Carrot  (Read 3573 times)

Wellieboots

Dr Evil & The Ugly Carrot
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:49 am »
Oh how I wish "This Life" was still on the go as I think I'd have won the 2009 ugly veg category. This example was spat from the bowls of hell (well my veg garden actually) and I only wish I'd put a scale in as the body of the carrot is about 4 inches across!

How on earth do I peel this ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Dr Evil & The Ugly Carrot
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:48:57 am »
Looks like that's a carotene sucking leeches of carrots!  Is your whole crop like that?

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:23:41 am »
I had a few like that the first year I planted them.

Apparently the Garden Centre said I had planted seeds to close, and in too shallow a bed, or hadn't dug the soil down loose enough for them to grow straight.

Make great photography - and maybe halloween ornaments???
 ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »
or maybe there was some fresh manure on the carrot bed ....that causes the same sort of growth !!
As a rule grow root crops in a bed that was manured the previous year for a hungry crop .

cheers

Russ

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »
or maybe there was some fresh manure on the carrot bed ....that causes the same sort of growth !!
As a rule grow root crops in a bed that was manured the previous year for a hungry crop .

cheers

Russ

There was a lot of  Donkey Pooh in that bed that year - should see the size of some of my trees and climbers - I think Donkey Pooh is the best manure I have used - and believe me, I've tried it all.   ;D ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »
yep ... it is usually why that happens to carrots ...to much food in the soil ...rule of thumb is manure for leaf or above ground veg but not for root veg....

cheers

Russ

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:57 pm »
I have been trying to grow carrots for a few years with no success. I follow the late, great Geoff Hamilton way for all my veg which grows well except carrots. So for next year its the Russ method. Thanks Russ,
JD

Wellieboots

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:09:52 pm »
No manure, brand spanking new veg plot, it had been grass until rotovated. Seaweed extract 12 weeks before planting. That is the only one that has done that, rest are excellent. There are a few offshoot things so thanks re the manure thing. Those I grew in a seperate raised bed in exactly the same conditions were exhibit specimens they were so good looking!
It is now being used in place of a pumpkin tonight ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS