Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: seriously, how difficult can it be.. shearing..??  (Read 6687 times)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
seriously, how difficult can it be.. shearing..??
« on: June 17, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »
LOL! I suspect its v hard, but I am seriously thinking of getting my self trained to do it, so anyone recommend how to learn?? I have 10 willing ewes, I have various clippers (so I can buy sheep blades) I just need the know how!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: seriously, how difficult can it be.. shearing..??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 06:28:15 pm »
I think the BWMB do courses - worth looking into?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »
Having learn't by doing it myself, in hindsight a course would have been better; a lot of shearing is how to hold the sheep, once the sheep is comfortable and calm sharing is easy.

BWMB do run courses, I wanted to do one before I fell ill.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »
ok I will look into that, I can tip them for routine work, and know its a very tough job but in light or our recent flystrike I'd like to at least be able to shear them in emergencies  :sunshine: last night took us several hours to hand shear a badly effected ewe

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »
If that is why you want to learn then I wouldn't worry, just make them comfortable and take your time and remove the fleece any way you can.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:30:04 pm »
I'd recommend a BWMB course, or one of the privately organised ones (bit late in the season for both now, though).  Once the sheep is held correctly it relaxes, which is less stressful for both it and you.  The shearing competition boys make it look easy but it's not.  If you start out by shearing one in 20 minutes without nicks and scrapes you're doing extremely well!

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 07:53:28 pm »
I'd recommend a BWMB course, or one of the privately organised ones (bit late in the season for both now, though).  Once the sheep is held correctly it relaxes, which is less stressful for both it and you.  The shearing competition boys make it look easy but it's not.  If you start out by shearing one in 20 minutes without nicks and scrapes you're doing extremely well!

Totally agree  :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:13:04 pm »
Well it's easier than shearing an angora goat.

I didn't make a very neat job of them but not too bad for a first try.  I sheared three shetlands on Sunday and my neighbour didn't laugh  (too much) at my efforts.

I'm not sure I'd manage a bigger sheep though and will leave the ram for him to do.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:23:21 pm »
I would try you-tube, knowing that site their will be several video clips

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:58:01 pm »
A friend showed me how last year, but to save my back this year I wanted to do one a day rather than all at once.  With the help of a some drawings, watch in the shearer at the Spring festival and watching some youtube it worked out quite well.  The first one looks a bit like a poodle, but it got better and better.  Courses are great if you take things in at them but you’ll forget about footwork etc as soon as you walk out the door, you just need to keep reminding yourself.  Personally I found it better being shown and then getting on with it.  Advice I can offer from my 7 shearing! experience is don’t pull at the wool, and be brave with the blows.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »
And keep the skin taut or you'll end up with a vet's bill for the stitches.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »
Did a BWMB course just now  you wont forget the footwork in a hurry! You will wake up sweating if you even dream of putting your foot in the wrong place!

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:04 pm »
well done Angus practise makes purrrrfect, and don't forget black sheep harder to shear as you cant see where ure going aswell ,even the professionals say so.Shearers charge a fortune to do a few but they have to charge for fuel time etc and are more int in doing large amounts.Even the experts make mistakes and nick the sheep there just quick and must have good backs!

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 08:04:32 pm »
If you have trouble tipping the sheep you can always use a head restraint, usually works unless you have a mad Shetland.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 11:26:44 pm »
I Learnt to shear with hand shears initially, you can then leave a little wool on the ewe so as not to get too close to the skin until you become more confident and also if you take your time will cause less damage to the ewe. It is also less stressful on shearer and animal I find. If you don't get the feece off in one piece with the price of wool it's not exactly going to break the bank!! I have sheared our weather (all 120kg of him) stood up in a halter he must have enjoyed the experience as he was asleep most of the time!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS