Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected (but lovely) lamb!  (Read 2428 times)

JoanneB

• Joined May 2012
  • Linlithgow, Scotland
Unexpected (but lovely) lamb!
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:15 am »
Hi folks. I feel a bit like the woman who went to the docs complaining of heartburn and came home with a baby!

One of my wethers had a wee girl! I don't know who's more surprised, me or 'him'. Both doing well, she's about 4 days old. Milking well. I've had the other 5 checked and they are definately boys. My shepherd friend came round last night and had a good check.

So there's no particular need for a vet home visit (££?) except I don't know whether / when she'll need vaccinations, tagging, special feed etc. Is there anything important I should be doing these next few weeks?  I'd really like to  have her well used to me.

Lovely, a wee stunner.
Joanne, West Lothian

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Unexpected (but lovely) lamb!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:08 am »
I would keep a good look out for flystrike on your small flock (including the lamb) as the flies will be very attracted to the smell of the birth fluid etc.  I also see one of your sheep in the background of the photo seems to have a mucky bottom so do keep a very close eye on this for signs of flystrike - especially until you can get them all sheared.  Would be heartbreaking for you to lose the mother and or baby if flystrike did take hold.  From another post on the forum you will see that flystrike has been a real issue this year - particularly in some flocks that have lambed late. 

As for vaccinations for the lamb etc - yes, it is advisable to have her vaccinated as this will guard against her picking up any nasty illnesses and also guard against tetanus.  She will also require tagging in due course.  I take it you have a CPH Number etc and have your flock number as you will need this info to go on the tag.   As for special feed - she should be fine on her mothers milk and grass once she is old enough to eat it. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:18:18 am by ZaktheLad »

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:58:03 am »
Pretty lambie  :sheep: What a nice surprise !

JoanneB

• Joined May 2012
  • Linlithgow, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:46:24 pm »
Thanks guys. All my sheep were shorn today and all doing well. No sign of fly strike here thank goodness.
Joanne, West Lothian

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:13:57 pm »
What a nice surprise!

But how exactly does that happen? I.E A pregnant ewe passing herself off as a male?

JoanneB

• Joined May 2012
  • Linlithgow, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 05:37:52 pm »
I bought them in March at about a year old. I guess she got in with the wethers and wasn't spotted. I'm not composing, I bought 6 for the freezer and have ended up with a starter flock! Lamb is growing fast. She seems much bigger today.
Joanne, West Lothian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS