Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ill Lamb : Rolling, Lethargic  (Read 5688 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Ill Lamb : Rolling, Lethargic
« on: June 15, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »
Male un-castrated lamb, 5 weeks old, bottle fed, took it's previous meal this afternoon fine, but this evening, lethargic, stands, sits, rolling over sometimes. Can hear it panting but very faint, not loud or strong. Not interested in bottle. Ears cold.

This lamb always does look a bit fat around the midriff (his brother doesn't).

Yesterday dropped a meal so one less bottle per day but with more in each bottle.

Could it be stomach pain, bad bacteria taken hold due to change in diet? He does have access to good grass (with other lambs and mums), and was eating creep feed with others too.

Need advice as to best course of action?

AntiB, Electrolytes?

Should I leave out him with others (they have a field shelter), or bring in (would be alone but advantage is it's not possible for him to wander out and run risk of being outside of his shelter if the weather should become wet again.

NB: Rest of flock broke into the nursery paddock this afternoon, after this was when I found him 'not right', could he have taken a kick/butt? No obvious signs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:30:18 pm by OhLaLa »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ill Lamb : Rolling, Lethargic
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:06 pm »
 Sorry it really could be anything, the standing ( arching back ? ) sitting rolling suggest stomach pain , but from what ?? you could try some of the bloat remedies on the forum but it is maybe await and see ,  sorry  ,    vet maybe tomorrow if no better ?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
Checked on him, he was sitting outside, looks like rain so have brought him 'in'.

Has drank some water a couple of times, layed down to drink the second time.

I have no electrolytes.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:07 pm »
Looked up bloat - remedy suggested on this site is sunflower oil and bicarb. Have given.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:32:29 pm by OhLaLa »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:13:49 pm »
electrolytes =
2 tablespoons of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablesoons of honey/sugar
gallon water

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 05:54:23 am »
Thanks for the pointer shep53, looks like he had bloat.

Another couple hours later gave ginger/water, walked him about a few times during night and gently rubbed belly; not long after he got his bleat back. Puddles of greenish poop in his bed, smell what you'd expect. Belly not so swollen.

This morning very vocal, had a walk about, investigative and gave me a couple nudges for milk. Am holding off on the milk until vet open and i can buy electrolytes.

How long should i wait before giving milk?

Will cut back to less milk , more day feeds for both bottle lambs. I think that and good grass, dewy mornings and access to creep has caused this.

Advice re feed welcomed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:54 am »
electrolytes =
2 tablespoons of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablesoons of honey/sugar
gallon water

I wouldn't use refined sugar in a homemade electrolyte solution, just honey to sweeten it. Or molasses maybe?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:08:19 am »
Long, wet grass most likely cause.  Can you keep him (and the others) in until it's dried off a bit?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:24:52 am »
Thanks for the input guys. We can either put honey in (have our own hives) or Black Treacle. Will make a note of the recipe.

Been to the vet (who was out) and got the electrolytes ok. Gave the lamb 150ml. Will do the same again later. He is much improved and back out with his brother and co. Had to wipe down his rear end first (and pleased was I to be doing it).

Grass not drying off much today, one of those grey breezy mornings, but will (daily) keep the lambs and mums off the grass until about 10am/10:30 ish (guess earlier is ok if it's one of those hotter days).

I just need to know now: When can I give the lamb his next milk - and how much? As vet was out, couldn't ask.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »
Hope all is back to normal now , probably the new grass in the nursery paddock upset him , my 3 orphans went out to grass 2 wks ago night and day  , as many nuts as they can eat and  500ml  milk twice per day no problems        forgot these are texel x  lambs
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:45:35 pm by shep53 »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:05 pm »
I'd feel inclined to begin with a very small amount, maybe just 30ml, and see what happens.  Or you could forget the milk entirely - growth will perhaps be slower but if he has water available and is eating creep he may be fine without milk now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS