Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Listeriosis  (Read 2552 times)

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Listeriosis
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »
I have commented on this in my very last Footvax post - but in case this title catches someone's eye better - and they have any experience of this bacterial infection, I would be grateful if they could read my last comment on the Footvax post. Desperate for any help any of the old pros can give me. Thanks :)
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Listeriosis
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:07:44 pm »
Penecillin in some order and cross fingers, approx 30 percent survive that are presented to a vet, 50 percent of cattle, probably because people leave it longer to show the vet a sheep on average!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:09:18 pm »
ps can't go wrong with 'roids (steroids not haemorrhoids!) unless you've given nonsteroidals first when you can go a bit wrong. "Let nothing die without steroids"  :thumbsup:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:46:07 pm »
Sorry out of the hundred or so cases of listeriosis iv'e  seen only one was on grass the rest were all silage related and  9mths is the youngest , the face is more like the advert for a  stroke then a head tilt and often going in circles , so I don't know .

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:54 pm »
Stop the Penicillin then Shep? Seems a bit risky....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
Bacterial meningitis ???  symptoms  sort of fit so  ab

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:04 pm »
Thank you Professionals! We've no deaths yet and the lamb has had Metacam from the vet & myself - which I think is non-steroidal?  Where does that leave me on steroids? A no go now?  Will hammer with the Penstrep.  Thanks to Shep53 & Me et al for the input.  If I lose this lamb then post mortem is what I will be asking for. Fingers crossed I won't be heading down that route :fc:
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:41:07 pm »
No experience but ask on the goat section somebody had a goat with it a while back.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:47 pm »
Will do Dogwalker thank you.  Also just spotted a March posting on the sheep section on the subject with good input from Shep53 & Me too.  My lambs aren't showing all the classic symptoms of listeria, that's for sure.  I did suggest bacterial meningitis to the vet as a possible but she didn't seize on this. Given the mole activity in their new field and the lambs' fascination for the damn molehills, early stages of listeriosis seemed to be best guess given no other firm diagnosis.  My long-suffering husband has just been back to the field and fenced them back in their original area to keep them away from the molehills - this may well have been a fool's errand but we've just got to try everything.  Thanks again everybody. We are going slowly nuts with this.....

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 09:58:48 pm »
Steroids and non steroidals combined can stuff  the kidneys etc 

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:52 pm »
Thanks - steep learning curve. Great info. I'm very grateful for your time.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:47 am »
what a tough time you are having, hope it sorts itself soon  :hug:

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:36 am »
I've asked for a second opinion - I don't suppose it will save this lamb but it might save the others. I think bacterial meningitis is the cause - maybe sparked by the Footvax in some way.  I suppose post mortem will be the only way we'll know.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS