Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 2808 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
worming
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:35:09 pm »
Went to see the tamworth x on Sunday - they are gorgeous and we've booked 3.
Came home read up on worming and it said to keep new weaners on concrete for a few days after worming so that the faeces and worms can be burnt. What do other people do? I haven't got a concreted floored barn or yard to do this on. :pig:
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:02 am »
For incoming pigs I clear the smallish paddock they start off in each day.  Pig poo composted is great for veggies.  For the rest I worm then move them to a new paddock.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:41 am »
Forgot .... congratulations on getting new pigs.  Can we have some pictures when they arrive. 

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:24:18 am »
Have they not been wormed they should be before leaving their current home ? that's how we do it

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 08:44:48 am »
we bought some shetland ponies last winter and thought the same all apart one had been but the other spread worms and lice to the others. it took us all winter to fix the damage. i always believe that its best to clean any animal that come onto the holding now.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:55:50 pm »
Yes Shetland Paul, any animal we get, from a kitten to a pig, is always treated for worms and lice as soon as it arrives, then we know it is safe to mix with the herd.
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:11:54 pm »
Thanks all,
I most certainly will post pics. But they won't arrive until early December.
I spoke to my sister earlier who used to work on an organic farm, she said that I should check with the vet about which wormer to use as some wormers paralyse them and some kill them. She recommended the killing sort as i don't want to introduce a worm crop to the land.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS