Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working out age of my Tamworths  (Read 5312 times)

ruives

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Arbroath
Working out age of my Tamworths
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:51 pm »
I was hoping someone out there could help me????

I picked up two Male (not castrated) Tamworths about 3 weeks ago, I was told they were about 6 months old (which would suggest they are ready to go to slaughter) but they were running with 3 month old ones and I am not sure if I maybe have picked up two yonger ones than was first suggested.

To let you understand my doubts -  I am 5'10" and the pair of them just come up to about my knee (about 2' high)

This is the first time I have ventured into pigs so am still learning, can anyone help me out how to work out their age?  I am slightly concerned about getting them off to slaughter too late, after reading some of the posts about "tainted meat" that you can get from older Boars.

Hope you can help me out

Scott

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Working out age of my Tamworths
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:27:37 pm »
Firstly boar taint although not a myth is rare.  It was often mistaken for the taste produced by feeding fishmeal to pigs. 

Up to 8 months old doubt you will have any problem.  However to tell the age of a tamworth or any pig have a look inside its mouth if it has permanent corner incisors its 6 months or more.  Yours dont sound big enough to be 6 months to me. 

Otherwise weight them to see if they are heavy enough for slaughter.  To weigh a pig using an oldfashioned imperial tape measure (or convert the metric to imperial) measure around the waist just behind the front legs then from between the ears to the base of the tail.  Multiply the waist measurement by the length measurement.  Divide by 12 gives a rough idea of the dead weight of the pig.  This is what you will get back frmo abattoir and includes head trotters etc.  If piggies weigh less than 50 k by this method I should wait a little longer.

HM

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »
Wow HM! Brilliant!

Where do you find all these little gems? Very useful indeed.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

ruives

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Arbroath
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:11:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice, have measured one of them, waist is 29" and the length between ears and tail is 31", my calculations say it is 75kg dead weight  :'(, would this be right???

Really enjoying having them around, would like to keep them until end of summer at least (Sep/Oct)

Would there be any problems in doing so?

Sorry for all the questions

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:55:51 pm »
Mmmm 75 k deadweight sounds a bit high, perhaps I have given you the liveweight calculation.  Knock off 25% for deadweight just in case.

You can keep them for as long as you like.  My friend did a working tamworth boar at 2 years old, he was huge and delicious.  Problem was only that could only one chop at a time in my huge Le crueset frying pan /

We never neuter and have never had boar taint.  We send them off around 9 months old.

ruives

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Arbroath
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:26:20 am »
Just an idea but if I am using imperial measurements to size the pig, would the weight worked out be imperial (lbs) also?

That would make him 34 kilos??  And give me more reason to keep the pair of them a bit longer,  ;)

Just a thought....

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:10:47 am »
Yes stupid me, sorry should have said for the weight in kilos divide by 2.2  So sorry.  In that case I have given you the correct formula. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS