Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible sick zwartable  (Read 3174 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Possible sick zwartable
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:11:49 pm »
Went out this morning to have a look at my sheep. One seems quite off colour and remarkably out of condition spine clearly visible. This has come on very suddenly- there is no sign of flies etc.. Still eating but not as keen as before.
Any ideas/opinions.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Possible sick zwartable
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:55:20 pm »
Do check very carefully for fly strike, I didn't see it until almost too late, just a couple of sheep a bit off and a bit of tail twitching. Thankfully all well now!
I think sheep have to be quite ill before they let on that anything is wrong!!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:18:56 pm »
You sound as if you have a very sick sheep! Problem is just looking at them is often misleading as being woolly they look ok even if very thin! Are you handling the sheep regularly so that you know what their condition is like? They do not get that thin overnight!
When did you last worm them and what with? Do you rotate the pasture?.....I know you don't have a lot at the moment!
Have they been given fluke treatment?
If not scouring but thin and hunched and poor I would personally suspect some sort of parasite such as fluke, however if scouring, could be worms but scouring not always a sign of worms! Could be a clostridial disease....but scouring often present....
Its very difficult to diagnose what is wrong with a sheep without a lot of history of management, medication, vaccination, feed regieme etc but the usual thing at this time of year, if pasture is damp or near water, if sheep thin, poor and ill, if all other dosing and management ok....... I'd suspect fluke.....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:51:21 am »
how old are they and have you checked its teeth. then worm it and feed it up but also get the vet in. you know its ill you have a duty to get it treated. if it fails to thrive then it will have to go.

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Re: Possible sick zwartable- UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:54:52 am »
Took ewe lamb to the vet last Wednesday- diagnosed pnuemonia and said it was possible for it  to have had underlying lung problems. Gave it antibiotics. Seemed to pick up a little but then Sunday went down hill.  Sadly it died last night.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:01 am »
its very common for them to die after chest infections. we had a new born lamb do it this spring. the locals say its very rare for them to make it. you did your best don't worry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS