Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig behaviour  (Read 3031 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Pig behaviour
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:08:59 pm »
This may be a very silly question but we have noticed our male pig keeps nudging the females stomach with his nose and when she lays down he gives her a belly massage, which she loves.  We are hoping she is pregnant could it be something to do with this or could it be that she is coming  in to heat?  They are both 8 months old.  She is very protective of him as he is very affectionate and if we are giving him a scratch she comes over and climbs on him.  Also during the last few weeks she gets stroppy with him over food and tries not to let  him eat.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nicki :pig:

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Pig behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:52:57 pm »
Our boars will do this when they are interested in a sow.  I have never noticed this behaviour towards a pregnant sow.  It is their way of saying 'come on lady I am ready'!  I have seen the boar actually lift the sow into the air to get her attention.  She will only oblige when she is ready though!

It is also a behaviour between castrated males as well, and young gilts towards another gilts and castrated males. It is their way of displaying their urges I guess.

Kate  :pig:  ::)
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS